• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nc. I had a man agree to buy my car at 7800 and tell me twice the check was on the way. By the time I received it one month later I had to refinance the car to avoid repossession which he told me to do and he would pay for all inconveinences. He sent me a check for 14000 and I am to send the 6200 to his shipping agent in TX. I have went through alot of trouble getting the check cashed as every bank I went to said it looked fishy. Our contract was all over the e-mail and nothing has been signed. My question is now he says nothing about my inconveinences can I deduct them from the 6200 legally?

Funkmasta

scarabear21 said:
nc. I had a man agree to buy my car at 7800 and tell me twice the check was on the way. By the time I received it one month later I had to refinance the car to avoid repossession which he told me to do and he would pay for all inconveinences. He sent me a check for 14000 and I am to send the 6200 to his shipping agent in TX. I have went through alot of trouble getting the check cashed as every bank I went to said it looked fishy. Our contract was all over the e-mail and nothing has been signed. My question is now he says nothing about my inconveinences can I deduct them from the 6200 legally?
I am really sorry to hear this. But this is a fraud. It is a very common email scam.
Check this out: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/overpayment-scam.html
Do not send them any money, and do not let them take the car.
If you have any more questions about it, just post a reply. I do a lot of internet sales, so I do know a little bit about the situation.

reply to last message

what happens if I got the check cashed what should I do? Wait to make sure it has went through? If it does what should I do? I am a single mother with a 4 month old and I am flat broke and I don't understand someone knowing this about me would send 14,000 dollars so I want to make sure the check is good before I send him the car or send off the change. There are alot of issues I have with this. The man I talk to via e-mail says the car is for his client and I have his name, a different name on the package the check came in and a different name on the check, three names in total. I am confused plus he says he will pay for my inconveinence but after all of this I don't believe him and want to know if e-mails constitute as a vaild contract and if this does by chance go through can I take my inconveinences out of this money? Below are all of the e-mails I received from this man and all of the ones I sent him in order but I have removed names:

Him
My client is interested in the purchase of your car, is it
still available? forward more pics (interior) and state your firm price

Me
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I just went back to work 3 wks ago and have been working over 60 hours a wk and then I come home to my three month old son. So I haven't been online very much. I hope these pictures are good. The interior has a few cigarette holes from the previous owner and stains in the floor board. There are also a few places where the paint is scratched. The dealership said the previous owner hit one of the poles at the gas station and it is where the scratches come from. I had planned on a voluntary repo tomorrow morning but can wait until Wed. or Thurs. if you think your client may still want the car. I can be reached at 704-xxx-xxxx but I generally work 9-9 everyday but Sunday. I look forward to your reply. Oh one more thing the CD player in the car is mine and is going to be changed out tomorrow for the factory CD player which is in the trunk. About the price I wish I could go less because if I could I couldve sold it 10 times already but the goal is to pay it off otherwise I could give you the car but not title. I am a single mother who just went back to work and I am behind on everything! I already had to sell my house. I'm sorry i can't be of more help

Him
Thanks for your prompt and positive email.i'm so sorry for the delay in reply.My client was much impressed with the condition of your car,the sent pics in collaboration with the pics on the net was great,impressive,trippin infact it's simply magnificent. he wouldn't want to miss the car rather He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage soonest for his wife birthday Gift.he wants to have brief details of the vehicle, When was the engine serviced last and oil changed,Has the vehicle any dent or accident before,Has the vehicle been re-painted before.
However,he would like to know your last & final price for immediate transaction before making a crucial business trip to ITALY.Thanks for your anticipated cooperation and hope to see your reply soonest so that thing can get going. Have a great day!!!

Me
I have never had an accident in this vehicle but there is paint scratched off the passenger side mirror, and the front left bumper. The oil is due for a change at 120,000 miles. The car did not come with a book when I bought it, so I don't have a manual. My mechanic is a family friend and the car had a complete tune up about 3 and a half months ago, right before I gave birth to my son. The remote for keyless entry is missing the battery and the back and I could never budget to get one. The car to my knowledge has never been repainted. To my knowledge the only accident this car has ever had was it hit one of the posts you would find at a gas station. As far as price, in order to get the title from the finance company I have to stand firm at 7800, well it's actually 7797.47 for the pay off by the 31st of this month. I appreciate this being as quik and as smooth a transaction as possible, and thank you for your reply.

Him
I have discussed about your car with my client,Before he made a business trip out of the country.Am from canada and my Client is also from canada.He has finally accepted the price and hopes the engine is well Serviced because, He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage.
However, My client made out a certified cashiers check of ($14,000)Before he travelled to ITALY on a crucial business trip, the Amount on the check he deposited for the car is for the total Expenses which includes the purchase of your car,tax, the pick-up of the Car from its present location and the shipping charges /other Necessary Shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with This transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your car ($7,800) and send the balance of ($6,200) to my Pick-up agent via money gramTransfer to enable him offset shipping charges /arrangements.Once the transaction is concluded and the check clears my fore man will be coming for the Pick-Up of the car from its present location, on an open vehicle and then Drive to a pre-paid shipper for shippment, and also conclude other Necessary shipping arrangements. So you don't have to nuisance or bother yourself About the pick up and shipping arrangements, while title papers and Other necessary documents will be sent by you via any courier service to my Customer.
Please confirm the above explicit information and provide me with Legal Name, Address and Phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via the fastest courier service. Thanks and have a great day!!!

Me
My full legal name is . My address is . My phone number is. I am to cash the check and send the balance to the pick-up agent via money gram transfer. Do I deduct the cost of the money gram from the amount? I also am looking very forward to this. Then I am to use a courier service to have the title delivered to your client. Is this correct?

Him
Thank you for the info you forwarded for payment delivery.At this point I believe the transaction is sealed between you and my client as you agreed on sending the balance meant for the shipping charges to the pick up agent whose info will be forwarded upon receipt of the funds.I contacted my client,He said the check has been endorsed and the payment package will be delivered on or before Wednesday next week.There will be little delay of 2-3 days for documentation purposes since this is a financial matter and it entails proper bookeeping.I advise you stop entertaining offers from other intending buyers to avoid complications and consider your vehicle sold to my client.Remember to get back to me as soon as you receive the package inorder to wrap up this transaction.

Part 2

Me
My car is now sold to your client and I will contact you upon receipt of the package so that we can wrap things up

Me
Hi, I was just checking to see if you client was still wanting to buy the car. I haven't heard anything in over a week and from our last correspondence I gathered this would be completed by Wednesday that has just past. The finance company called me last Friday and I told them it would be paid off by Wednesday. They said either I would have to pay it off by then or I would have to refinance it so they wouldn't come get it. So Wednesday I had to go refinance the car. Also I had to pay the car insurance on it Wednesday as well seeing as how it was past due and if I didn't pay it the finance company would insure it and charge me the full 6 month premium. Being as I am 24 and haven't had my licence 3 yrs yet. I have to pay 281.76 every month for car insurance because the car requires full coverage since it is financed. I now also have to pay extra finance charges for refinancing the car. Therefore this delay has already cost me almost 300 dollars and is soon to cost me more. Please respond by letting me know if you client is indeed still interested and if the payment package has been sent. Every day that passes causes the interest on the car to go up and more money I have to come up with as a single unemployed (as of last Friday) mother. I have just finished letting someone take over payments on my home and am looking to move out of state to stay with relatives, so I need to wrap this up quickly. I appreciate your understanding and your quick response as my time is limited

Him
try giving a call but didn't get thru to you.Just to confirm my client interest in this transaction.He moved to an energy conference.He is an Oil Drill Supervisor so he consider it important to attend the conference.He has confirmed to me that he will be sending the payment package from London Today so you will be receiving the check payment package by Thursday next week latest.I advise you exercise little patience and hold on the vehicle for Him having reconfirmed his interest.I 'll give you a call for further info.

Him
Sorry for the delayed delivery.I contacted my client as regards the payment package and he explained that the courier services he used returned the package to his address in london stating that the receiver's address is incomplete so that they couldn't deliver the package.He reconfirmed his interest in this transaction and promised to pay for all the inconvineces this might have caused you as long as you will hold on the vehicle for him.Confirm this and provide your full mailing address with correct zip code.I hope you will understand that my client can't wait to see the vehicle delivered to his destination.Please bear with us.
I await your e-mail of reconfirmation.

Me
I assure you that I am still very interested in this sale and will be awaiting further word from you or your client with regards to this transaction!
this is my complete mailing address as well as my location address:

Me
I received a call on Tuesday saying the payment package would arrive today, Thursday June, 16th. I have not left the house all day though I have many things to do to prepare for my move. I was told it was being sent by a courier service but was given no specific time. I have been trying to reach you all day at the number you left on my e-mail but it just goes straight to voice mail. I hate to be aggravating but I really need to wrap this matter up. I have no money left after paying the insurance on the car and can not pay it again at the end of this month. I have to hurry and move so I can find work. I have no babysitter here and do there so I need to move quickly so I can provide needed support for my infant. His father has nothing to do with us so it is urgent that I do what is necessary to care for him even if it means ruining my credit. I realize it is not yet 5 o'clock but it is very hard to wait when you are in my situation. I apologize for my impatience. I appreciate your time in this matter and your understanding of the urgency this has to me.

Part 3

Him
UPS report shows that the payment package will be delivered Today,so you have to be around or station somebody to acknowledge the receipt of the package to avoid any loss or misplacement.

Below is the report:
<Report Omitted>
Meanwhile,My client instructed that you send down his balance via MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL MONEY
TRANSFER to shipping agent. and you are also required to provide the "address / location" of where the purchased property is presently located at the moment,
so that as soon as the agent receives the funds and
the address / location from you, they will be able to
seal-up the contract on pick-up and shipping
arrangements with the prepaid-agent, for their pick-up
and shipping services to be possible.

Below is the AGENT's Details that you would need to
send the money via MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL MONEY
TRANSFER as she will be needing these funds to setlle
some fees and tax charges regarding their shipping
arrangements and as payment for her services before she
can render her services.
We have made enquiries today, from MONEYGRAM
INTERNATIONAL MONEY TRANSFER and we have been
informed that you would be required to pay some
charges as cost of the money transfer to the agent.
Our customer is aware of these tranfer charges and has
agreed on these terms, so they have instructed that
you go ahead and deduct the transfer charges from
their balance money that you would be sending to the
agent.
As soon as you have made the transfer, Please copy
the transfer details to me via email after you must have forwarded it to the agent's e-mail.
The agent is presently in HOUSTON, TX right now and
will be heading to the present location of the property immediately the funds is sent to her , so it is very neccessary that we speed up our activities as regards this transaction, so that we can meet up with their schedule as in view of the time range that they have for their pick-up / shipping jobs that they would be doing.
Please remember that you are required to forward the
following money transfer details below, after you have
done the transfer.
1 - Reference number
2 - Text Question
3 - Senders name and Address
4 - You are to state in your mail the exact amount
that you sent after the transfer charges have been
deducted.
Go to any of these Money Gram outlets that are listed below to make
the transfer.
We are expecting your response with the all the
details, because our customer will need this to be
done early enough to ensure that he has settled all
financial aspects covering their pick-up / shipping
arrangements, and to be assured that he has secured a
booking with the agent in order to meet up with their
next shipping date.

Me
I have run into a small problem. I went to 5 banks, including my own and none of them would cash the check. They said it looked like a scam that has been going around lately where people are printing checks off their computer. The finance company took it but they said they have to hold it until it clears the bank which is estimated at 10-15 business days. I am also waiting to hear if my grandfather can loan me the difference on the new payoff due to the new finance charges, the new payoff is 8374.29, and I am on dead broke after spending my last bit of money on last months car insurance on the car that is 291.79 per month. I am sorry once again there is a delay it is hurting me too because I also have to borrow the money to pay the insurance once again to avoid an additional 1600 being added to the payoff on the car.

Him
How is everything? hope everything is going as planned.I write to inform you on the situation at hand concerning shipment of the property to my client's destination.I do not wish to put you in a fix in this transaction,but due to the critical need to settling the shipping Agent,I deemed it fit that you transfer the funds to the shipper immediately as a sign of commitment and because my client informed me that he just discussed with the shipper a couple of hour's ago over the phone and he was informed by the shipper that the ship will be leaving shores anytime from now,he said that you should hasten up with the transfer of funds so that he will start up with necessary paper work and shipping arrangements,that if he does not receive funds soon extra charges will acrue at the port as a result of delay in shipment,so please try your possible best to cash the funds and make the transfer today via moneygram money transfer and get back to me with the details of the transfer,so that we can avert dumourage that will acrue to that effect.I hope you understand.
I will be expecting your mail with the transfer details asap.Remember to forward the informations to the agent.

Me
I will let you know just as soon as the check clears. I can not do anything before that. Also I have to come up with the money to cover the difference on the cost of the car but that will not hender me from sending the change just the cars title. The check looks fake and that is why there is a delay. It has a bank name and no bank address or phone number just to name one of the reasons it looks fake. Also alot of people don't understand your sending 14,000 to a unemployed single mother who is about to move out of state. They don't understand why you didn't just send me payment for the car and send the shipping company the payment for shipment. Also the bank says there are several scams like this coming from Canada and I am not to trust you. I have been told you all are probaly laundering money and that I need to contact a lawyer so I don't get in trouble. My baby only has me and I do not need to get in trouble. Honestly this does all seem very funny now that I can see it more clearly. I have an e-mail saying the check was made on 5/24 but the date on the check is 6/15. I have only spoken to you but the name on the package I received is and the name on the check is . Also I presume you are an attorney and I don't know any attorneys who would allow their client to send 14,000 to someone as desperate as I have told you I am. I can not push the finance company all I can do is wait until everything is clear so I don't get stuck having to pay 14,000 back if this is bologna. I am an honest person and would not do so but still you do not know me from anyone and it's hard to believe anyone in this day and time to be so trusting. Now for another matter you said I would be paid for my inconveinces. I wish to discuss that while we await this matter being wrapped up because I can't help but feel like I am getting the short end of the stick here. I now know you lied about sending the check last month so you deliberately cost me car insurance and excess finance charges beyond the fact I have wasted my time on several occassions already sitting home and waiting on the check to arrive when I told you I have to get my matters in order so I can move. I hate to be rude but I can only call it as I see it and from every angle this deal smells fishy.

Me
I tried calling the finance company today, no news. I will try again tomorrow. I await your return e-mail as I am very conflicted with people giving me advice on what I should do. I need assurance that I am not being cheated. I still have all of your e-mails and after re-reading them I am dissappointed to see I have been lied to about the check twice. You told me on the 24th of May your client had made the check then on June 9th you said that the check had been mailed out and returned due to insufficent address but when I received the check it was gotten on the 15th of June making both of the previous stories lies. I can not trust you about taking care of my inconvieniences after these lies and want to know what I should do. I have been told I should just deduct a third of the left over amount and send the rest but I await your instructions.

Him
I advise you not to insult my personality again regarding this transaction.I was trying to update you after discussions with my client.All the messages I forwarded to you was from my client.Like I told you before he is an oil rig supervisor and the nature of his job does not allow him to sent out the check the day he promised.I am surprised you refering to me as a liar after all my explanation.My client wanted to buy this vehicle locally before I convinved him to buy from you,is that my crime now.

Meanwhile this is somebody's funds and he is worried over this delay on your part.I am almost losing my commission on this transaction.Hence,kindly visit the finance company today and request for the cash($6200) meant for the shipping charges and wire to the agent immediately.

Below is the AGENT's Details that you would need to send the money via MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL MONEY TRANSFER as she will be needing these funds to setlle some fees and tax charges regarding their shipping arrangements and as payment for her services before she can render her services.

Last edited:
Part 4

Me
I was not insulting your personality merely stating the facts. Several banks say your check looks fishy and that not the date the check was sent but the fact I was told on the 24th of May that the check had been made, and then again on June 9th that the check had been sent and returned. I do not question anything other than the fact the date on the check was past both of the named occassions. I want to know about my inconveiniences. At this point I will not even be able to pay the car off when the check does clear because I was cheated on the date and had to refinance the car to accomidate your client. I can not send you a car that is not paid for in full so that is a problem we need to work out also. Say whatever you will I can send you all your e-mails and show you what I am saying. This is ridiculous I need this cleared too because it has become more stress and burden than it already was and I keep wishing I had just let the car go back or put it on E-bay with a reserve as I had originally planned. I need resolution just as you do. I am sorry you may lose your commission but look at what I have lost in this process, money, time and soon more money. I can not stress enough the importance of following through with this deal. As of today the finance company hasn't heard anything I will personally go there on Monday and if I have to their bank to speed this matter up. I await response as to the matter of my financial dilema as a result of this matter.

This man calls me daily and is very rude about the fact I will not speed things up. He says I assure you the check is good and I demand you go to the finance company and get the money right now and send it today and such forth. He has gotten very hateful and worries me. When he calls I can not understand him because of his accent. He says he is from Canada, his phone's area code is Seattle, the shipper is in Texas and I am in North Carolina. I hope there is someway you can help me with this matter because I am both scared and confused and tempted also because being a single mother being able to have that kind of money and a car paid for would be a great start for my baby and I.

divgradcurl

scarabear21 said:
I don't know what to do someone help
You got your answer from Funkmaster -- this is almost certainly a scam. Go talk to you local police agency, they may be able to help you out. Do not give them the car, do not give them the money. Get the authorities involved.

Funkmasta

divgradcurl said:
You got your answer from Funkmaster -- this is almost certainly a scam. Go talk to you local police agency, they may be able to help you out. Do not give them the car, do not give them the money. Get the authorities involved.
Sorry, I thought that this would email me if there were any responses.
Stay FAR FAR away. He doesnt care about you or your 4 year old. This is 100% a scam.

Thank you I have contacted the police and given them his e-mails and taken care of returning the money, I appreciate the help. The finance company called and said the check is counterfeit and I should be glad I did not send him the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">