• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences of cancelling TV Satellite Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjjackey

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky (Company is out of Houston)

My sister lives with my mom and wanted to switch from cable to satellite to save money. Instead of Dish Network which has no contract, she saw an ad and contacted Go Dish. The ad said there was a 12 month commitment with a $240 cancellation fee. The intallers gave her an agreement to sign with a 24 month commitment (they provide free equipment service for the extra commitment). My sister said she didn't understand what she was signing since the 24 months was in the small print.Turns out my mom, who is 90 years old and vitually blind can't use her big button remote with the satellite equipment. Also she is unhappy with the programming compared to cable. Due to a medical emergency with mom didn't cancel in 72 hours as required by the contract. Tried to call and work out something. They told her she would have to pay $320 canecllation fee since it was a two year contract. Said they only sell two year contracts although the ad clearly says one year commitment. Any ideas on how to minimize her losses? Thanks

Even if the ad said 1-year contract....you signed and acknowledged the 2-year contract (even if the 24 months was in small print, as a consumer you should read everything before signing). Based on your post you had a 72 hr buyer's remorse period that you missed...Basically you either have the service for 2 years as agreed upon or pay the early termination fee for breaking the contract.

You Are Guilty

kjjackey said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky (Company is out of Houston)

My sister lives with my mom and wanted to switch from cable to satellite to save money. Instead of Dish Network which has no contract, she saw an ad and contacted Go Dish. The ad said there was a 12 month commitment with a $240 cancellation fee. The intallers gave her an agreement to sign with a 24 month commitment (they provide free equipment service for the extra commitment). My sister said she didn't understand what she was signing since the 24 months was in the small print.Turns out my mom, who is 90 years old and vitually blind can't use her big button remote with the satellite equipment. Also she is unhappy with the programming compared to cable. Due to a medical emergency with mom didn't cancel in 72 hours as required by the contract. Tried to call and work out something. They told her she would have to pay $320 canecllation fee since it was a two year contract. Said they only sell two year contracts although the ad clearly says one year commitment. Any ideas on how to minimize her losses? Thanks
If the contract specifies the early termination fee, and it was properly executed, then there's really not much you (or mom) can do. I suppose you can try to get your mother declared incompetant, but that's a bit of a stretch, especially just to get out of a contract.

If the only major issue is the remote, I'm sure you can find a programmable big-button remote somewhere on the internet. That will probably be the cheapest solution.

kjjackey

Consequences of Cancelling TV Satellite Contract

Thanks for your responses. Sounds like we are at their mercy. As you said, read the contract before you sign it. My sister says the installer they stuck it in front of her and did not give her time to read it. I recognize from your responses that that is her problem.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">