• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consignments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darlaconnors80@

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. If I gave an item to a store to sell (only had verbal agreement) and they let someone take it to try before buying and that person did not return it now store doesn't want to pay me for it but shouldn't they have to

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. If I gave an item to a store to sell (only had verbal agreement) and they let someone take it to try before buying and that person did not return it now store doesn't want to pay me for it but shouldn't they have to
It depends - what was your consignment agreement?

quincy

No that is what I payed but I at least expected something for it I could have gave it away myself
Verbal agreements are tricky. Most consignment shops provide receipts for the items donated and agree to pay a percentage of any sale to the donor of the item. They want to make as much as they can on each item because that is what supports their operation.

But a percentage of $0 is not going to earn either the store or you very much. :)

How long had your item been in the store? Is there a store policy that allows the store to dispose of or donate to charities any items not sold after a certain amount of time?

tranquility

I agree the consignment agreement is key. Even if it is a verbal agreement, if litigated, each side is going to make a claim as to what the consignment was. To me, it seems the greater burden would be on the store as the OP can rely on some type of care if we assumed a mere bailment for the benefit of both parties. I don't think the store would want to be arguing they fulfilled the level of care required by giving someone the item and letting them leave on speculation they were honest and will pay or return the item if they want it. Sure, the store would only be out the opportunity cost of a sale. (And the income derived by whatever the consignment percentage was.) You, on the other hand is out the item.

I also agree with the others that noticed conditions would probably be considered a part of your agreement. (Posted signs would be one example.)

I am appalled the store took something in on consignment without at least a slight writing on the matter. The more things included, the better. It makes me think there is more to the story. What would THEY say happened? What is their claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">