• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer Contract Consideration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorched

Hello I'm from Toronto Ontario Canada. I signed a contract for personal training with a gym called Premier Fitness. I want to get out of the contract but they won't let me stating that I'm past the cooling off period, which I am. However no money has officially changed hands yet, they started taking payments out of my fathers credit card which they were not authorized to do. Realizing their error they refunded my father the money. However I'm not giving them a cent because if I do then there is valid consideration for the contract to be binding. By not paying I believe the contract is void because officially no money has changed hands. Am I correct???

Thanks in advance,

Joel T

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello I'm from Toronto Ontario Canada. I signed a contract for personal training with a gym called Premier Fitness. I want to get out of the contract but they won't let me stating that I'm past the cooling off period, which I am. However no money has officially changed hands yet, they started taking payments out of my fathers credit card which they were not authorized to do. Realizing their error they refunded my father the money. However I'm not giving them a cent because if I do then there is valid consideration for the contract to be binding. By not paying I believe the contract is void because officially no money has changed hands. Am I correct???

Thanks in advance,

Joel T
Welcome to the Union!

(US Law Only)

scorched

Alright, well if anyone has info for the law in Ontario Canada, it'd be much appreciated. Even if you know offhand what it says in your particular state(s), it's all a help. Anything to kick-start a feeling that I may be on the right track ya know?

racer72

Alright, well if anyone has info for the law in Ontario Canada, it'd be much appreciated. Even if you know offhand what it says in your particular state(s), it's all a help. Anything to kick-start a feeling that I may be on the right track ya know?
US law only.

scorched

I've already stated clearly that I'll take ANY advice just so I know I'm on some kind of a right track. It's a free forum so I'm just trying everything as it takes nothing out of my day to do so...

latigo

I believe the contract is void because officially no money has changed hands. Am I correct???
No, you are not correct.

Canada and the USA share most of the same principles of ancient English Common Law, including Common Law contract law. And I can tell you that the above statement is totally contrary to those laws.

Premier Fitness promised to provide the facilities/services and you promised to pay for them – a promise for a promise – quid pro quo – a mutual undertaking. Hence, here or in Canada a binding contract was struck and you are stuck.

And ain’t going to get unstuck no matter how much you complain or argue irrationally about an “executory contract” * becoming unenforceable simply because one of the contracting parties refuses to perform as promised.

[*] Executory contract: That which is yet to be fully executed or performed; that which remains to be carried into operation or effect; incomplete; depending upon a future performance or event. The opposite of executed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">