• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer -- product repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jselig

I live in SC. Two years ago I transported my (large) riding lawnmower to a company to have the engine repaired. They said not repairable and did not mention any other potential problems. So through them I had a new engine installed. No problems with engine. Two weeks ago I brought in for regular maintenance/service (blades sharpened, oil change, new spark plug, etc.), and I was having a problem putting it into reverse. I picked it up last Saturday, the ticket said "Reverse Repaired" and the bill was over $100.00. I tried to mow on Monday and could not put it into reverse. My neighbor also could not, (so it's not just me being female). I called the office, the owner wasn't there, so I spoke with the mechanic. I told them the repair had not been done, he said he had done what he could, and that I needed a new "transaxle" and it would cost an additional $200 -$300 in parts alone. I told him I was stopping payment on the check, that we would have to work it out. The owner called me that day and we made arrangements to have me bring the mower back as soon as my schedule would allow. She called me at home the next day at 6:15 in the morning, loudly tells me I should go to bed earlier (since she woke me up), and that she would have to "take measures to protect herself" since I stopped payment on the check.

Now I feel that I don't want to bring this lawnmower back to them -- they may hold it for ransom!

Does anyone have any idea what my options are? I certainly don't feel I should have to pay over $100.00 to have the blades sharpened, the oil changed and a new spark plug put in my lawnmower. I will pay for services rendered, but not for repairs not made!
Should I have a second opinion of the needed repairs done?

L

loku

Bill for work not done

I believe you are entirely correct in this. Ask them for a bill for services rendered. If they do not comply, I would suggest you report them to the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs at http://www.state.sc.us/consumer/.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">