• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contest fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cadan

Unique situation: Work at a company who is giving away a new truck and dirt bike. My girlfriend, who is not married to me or even living in the same residence, was selected as one of 16 finalists in random drawing of entry forms. When co-workers realized they had drawn my girlfriends name, they discarded her winning card and drew another, thus leaving her out of the running. Therefore she loses her chance at a $27,000 prize package. The contest rules on back of entry form only state that EMPLOYEES and FAMILY MEMBERS are not eligible to win the prizes. Now what would have been a 1 in 16 chance to win is 0. Would she be eligible for any type of damages in a case such as this. Thanks

JETX

What are her actual damages??
She can't sue for a 'maybe, I might have one'.

Has the contest already been completed (you say, "is giving away")?? If not, she might be able to get an injunction to delay the final award pending a review of her status. You would need an attorney to do this.

C

cadan

i would appreciate more viewpoints, it would seem to me this is almost false advertisement if nothing else

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">