• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

what's right

What is the name of your state? the state in which dispute occured is iowa

As a graduate student, a professor asked me to do research for her book, as summer employment (this was at least 6 years ago). She paid me prior to the research beginning. I conducted some research, but when I gave to her she said she was too busy to deal with it. She didn't bring up the topic again until at the end of the summer, when she brought me more research to do. I didn't do it then, as school started and I was busy. I saw her almost everyday, but she never brought the research back up to me. While working on my dissertation, I moved to a different state. She contacted me in 1999, along with another previous grad student, asking for our repayment plan for the payment since we hadn't done the research. As she was at that time my dissertation co-advisor, I panicked and wrote back with a repayment plan within the next six months. She wrote me back, saying I didn't have to pay that quickly, she was trying to get the other grad student (I no longer have these e-mails). She was actively obstructing my dissertation, and by 2000 I asked to have her taken off my committee. A year ago she e-mailed me asking for a repayment of the 'loan' (her new term). I ignored her, as I felt (1) the employment was for during the summer and she violated that, even as I was trying to get the work to her (2) she never brought it up again until 1999. She just wrote again, asking for my repayment plan. Am I legally obligated to repay the money? (was about 4000.00 - and she doesn't acknowledge the work I had turned in during the summer, about 20 hours worth).

J

janene1242

If no contract was signed about her giving you the money, then you do not need to repay it. It was all an oral agreement and she took way too long to get back with you about the research, therefore it is yours to keep. Although, to be a fair person, I would give her some of it back.

djohnson

Nothing in this response is legal. Just a personal opinion. An oral contract is still a contract. Depending on what the terms were she could have sued you and won. However, now the SOL is long gone and she can't do anything about it at this point. If she filed at the time then you may have something to worry about. Now you don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">