• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dimond58

What is the name of your state? n.c.

I work for the state of n.c. doing maint. and construction for one of the departments of the state. When I was hired 14 years ago I was told my starting pay and all other facts. I was also told that I was furnished a truck to drive and to drive it home every night. Their reasoning was that we were subject to be called out on nights and weekends and that the state did'nt pay that much it would help offset the lack of pay. Not only was I told this but other people that were hired for the same type positions, some befor me, some after and they were hired in different locations through out the state. now 14 years later they want us to park the trucks at our office location and not give any compensation.
Since I has hired my work office has changed three times my location is now 65+ miles one way from home.
My question is this something that would fall under implied contract? and since it is a goverment agency would it apply?

racer72

Ah geez, losing a taxpayer paid benefit is really tough. The rules can be and have been changed, you have no recourse.

dimond58

geez, i am a tax payer too and what you think of as a benefit is not what it is. it is so we can respond quickly to an emergency. such as when a tornado blew trees onto fences we were call at 2 am and returned three days later. geez, we could have let some child molesters or murders escape. yes, it is nice to have but when you are told somthing that is not a "rule" and told it is part of your hireing package it should be held inforce.

racer72

When I was hired at my current job 23 years ago, I had fully paid medical and dental and was employed at a location close to my home as I requested on my employment application. In that time the employer paid part of my medical has been slashed and have been transferred to other divisions a number of times, once over 100 miles one way from my home. Its part of the job. Your employers made a change in policy and you can do one of two things, live with it or quit and get another job. But you have no legal claim whatsoever.

dimond58

was your job in private sector or public. our written policy is you cannot be moved over 32 miles from your location. however the only way they were able to move us was the fact they furnished us a truck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">