• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdevita

I gave my friend authority to enter into a moving contract on my behalf, as I would be out of town. My friend signed the contract, but it was for much more than the original estimate I was given. Is this contract legally binding?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Unless you gave your friend, who was acting as your authorized "agent", written perameters regarding high and low figures, then you are completely on the hook as the "principle" - - just as if you physically did the signing yourself. You would only have a cause of action against your friend (the "Agent") if your agent violated your written authority.

It's a little more complicated than the above description, but it amounts to the same result. If you want to read more about Principle / Agency law, check out your local law library for further and more detailed information.

Sorry.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-27-2001 at 05:06 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">