• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract with Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Kempfert

What is the name of your state? wisconsin
Here is the situation. I filed for divorce. The attorney I hired I signed a contract with while he was with a law firm. During the divorce process, he left this firm, and started his own. He automatically took my file with him. He made numerous costly mistakes while on his own. I never signed a contract with him with the new law firm. I am contesting his charges for his mistakes. If I never signed a contract, with the new law firm, am I obligated to pay his bill on charges with the new firm?

L

loku

IF I NEVER SIGNED A CONTRACT, WITH THE NEW LAW FIRM, AM I OBLIGATED TO PAY HIS BILL ON CHARGES WITH THE NEW FIRM?
If you accepted the benefit of his services, you are obligated to pay for them. If there was an implied contract at the same terms as your original contract, you would owe him according to the terms of that contract, otherwise, you would owe the fair market value of the services you received.

If he was negligent and his mistakes somehow cost you money or cause you other harm, you would be entitled to compensation for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">