• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this contract binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dhand

What is the name of your state? California
We had a monitored alarm system installed in the early 90's. In 2003 we received a flyer from the company advertising an equipment upgrade. I contacted the company and they agreed to install new equipment for approx. $350. My son came over to let them in and gave them the check for the equipment.

In 2004 we sold the home and I called the alarm company to cancel the monitoring. They told me I had a three year monitoring contract that I would have to buy out. I did not sign a contract. They did not disclose to me that there would even be a monitoring contract. They have turned the $840 bill over to collections.

djohnson

Usually a time period of service is pretty standard when upgrading or opening a new account. It may have been a part of the phone call when they offered and you just don't remember. Are you sure they didn't leave any paperwork when they did the job? You might have a slim chance at winning if you fight it, but do you really want to go to the expense of fighting them in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">