• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract breaking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taeluhbee

Portland, OR

So my parents purchased a car Sunday September 20th at a Honda dealership. They did a pre-sale deal, the car was financed and they put no money down. They added extras to the vehicle, such as a plan to do a window tint, winter package and lifetime oil changes, which I know they don't even need. There were contracts involved, however the fine print was never explained to them. I know they were taken advantage of after learning more about the entire situation. English is not their first language, however they have been in this country for a long time. My dad's english is pretty good and my mom's is moderate. However, they both still have issues with their understanding of American culture. So the original dealer told my parents the car would be there for them to pick up thursday the 24th of or Friday the 25th . They were told they would be contacted and the car was en route from Michigan. They received no calls, I called Honda on Sunday the 27th very unhappy. I spoke to several people and was given a lesson on how honda works, which I could care less about. I just wanted to know where the car was and why it wasn't there. They continued to tell me there were no promises made about the day it would arrive. I don't care what language you speak but if you say the car is going to be there Thursday or Friday, it means it is going to be there on one of those days and it is your integrity that is based off of. The manager told me they didn't know where the car was and he was going to call and talk to honda. He told me he was going to call me in the afternoon the next day, I did not hear from him until the next day around 7pm. I actually had to call him asking what was going on, he said he just got off the phone with honda. They apparently "lost" the car. So I continued to say So you're telling me your company has lost my parents car? And he says "Not our company, Honda." And I say "So you're telling me that HONDA a MAJOR corporation has LOST a car?" And he says yes. He offered for us to have a car for the week, however my parents did not want to do anything like that. This was the first time I had mentioned cancelling the deal. He tells me "No you guys aren't allowed to cancel the deal." Of course I am like, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. And all I tell him is that myself and my parents are coming in the next day, so just be prepared. We go in the next day and talk some with the guys not the GM but the Sales Manager and we decide to wait it out. They say the car will be there on Thursday night and they will call us Friday afternoon to pick it up. Low and behold, they do not call us on Thursday or Friday. I call them and ask them where the car is. And they say it will be here Monday. And of course, no curse words involved on my end, but I was livid. Beyond words pissed. I spoke to my parents and they told me to tell the GM they want to cancel the deal. I tell him this and tell him to prepare any necessary paperwork in order to do this. So he says to me "No you guys have ownership over the car so the deal cannot be cancelled." And in so many words I said the car is not in our possession and we are unhappy thus we are cancelling this. He tells me my parents cannot cancel, they can come in but nothing will be cancelled. My parents went in to cancel the deal. And of course they wouldn't let my parents do this. My parents are very hard working people. All they want is a reliable car to purchase, and this whole situation is going completely out of control. I need legal advice, I'm not sure what my question is, Mainly if this is true and we cannot cancel, but I am almost positive you can cancel anything. Please please please email me. I would like to speak to a lawyer asap. Thank you and sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm tired and this whole situation is beyond stressful!

Mass_Shyster

There were contracts involved, however the fine print was never explained to them.
The fine print does not have to be explained to them. If you don't understand something, you should not sign.

All of your answers are contained in that contract.

So the car is late. Does the signed contract say what your remedy is if the car is late?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">