• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract discrepancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inboy1980

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I recently ended a relationship (non-marriage). I signed an agreement stating that I would repay a sum of $5900 to my ex. The agreement that I signed states that I am to pay the ex back in monthly installments of $100 for the first six months, and $200 for the next 24 months, ending January 6, 2006. Under these terms, the repayment totals only $5400. Does this make the agreement null and void?

The agreement was not notarized or witnessed. Any help/direction would be appreciated

HomeGuru

inboy1980 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I recently ended a relationship (non-marriage). I signed an agreement stating that I would repay a sum of $5900 to my ex. The agreement that I signed states that I am to pay the ex back in monthly installments of $100 for the first six months, and $200 for the next 24 months, ending January 6, 2006. Under these terms, the repayment totals only $5400. Does this make the agreement null and void?

**A: no, because you can't add.

The agreement was not notarized or witnessed. Any help/direction would be appreciated

**A: the agreement is still enforceable.

I

inboy1980

I was not the one who wrote the agreement. My ex wrote the agreement, and the ex states I owe $5900, yet the ex's payback terms add to $5400. If this agreement is not void, then am I only obligated to $5400??

H

hexeliebe

I signed an agreement stating that I would repay a sum of $5900 to my ex.
As you have already been told. You signed the agreement to pay a sum of $5,900....it doesn't matter if the math doesn't compute.

The only thing that could be construed as unenforcable is the payment terms which do not add up to the total amount of the debt.

And you had better pray you don't ask a judge to make that determination. Because then you will pay the full amount.

Just contact the ex and tell her there's an error in the math and you need to add two payments to each end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">