• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Law assignment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexho_hk

Henry kept his car in a garage which he rented from Ian at a rental of $100 per month. Henry’s car was
involved in an accident and was off the road for repairs for a period of six months. During that time
Henry had no need for the garage. Feeling sorry for Henry, Ian told him that he need only pay half the
usual rental for that period. Henry gratefully accepted. After 2 months Ian had second thoughts and
asked Henry to pay the full amount. In the meantime, Henry had spent the money on a bicycle to
enable him to get to work.
Advise Henry as to whether he has to pay the full amount of rental.

quincy

Henry kept his car in a garage which he rented from Ian at a rental of $100 per month. Henry’s car was
involved in an accident and was off the road for repairs for a period of six months. During that time
Henry had no need for the garage. Feeling sorry for Henry, Ian told him that he need only pay half the
usual rental for that period. Henry gratefully accepted. After 2 months Ian had second thoughts and
asked Henry to pay the full amount. In the meantime, Henry had spent the money on a bicycle to
I am sorry, alexho_hk. We do not assist students with homework assignments on this forum.

We assume, as should you, that your teacher/professor wants you to do the assignment yourself. Your teacher is not looking to discover what we know about the law.

Good luck.

Mass_Shyster

Henry should sue the body shop that took six months to fix his car

FlyingRon

Here's a dime. Go call your mother and tell her there are serious doubts about you becoming a lawyer.

quincy

Here's a dime. Go call your mother and tell her there are serious doubts about you becoming a lawyer.
To cover the cost of a call to his mother, you might need to up your offer of a dime, FlyingRon. I believe all pay phones are now a minimum of 25 cents. ;)

latigo

How do you expect us to know how to "advise Henry" unless we know how much he paid for the bicycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

To cover the cost of a call to his mother, you might need to up your offer of a dime, FlyingRon. I believe all pay phones are now a minimum of 25 cents. ;)
It's a line from the opening passage of John Jay Osborne's book about Harvard Law School called "The Paper Chase." The above quote is actuallyt he one us slightly tweaked as used in the movie so that Professor Kingsfield actually says it to Mr. Hart during class. (The other great book about the subject is Scott Turrow's One L).

The book opens with:

In the few days between the arrival at Harvard Law School and the first classes, there are rumors. And stories.

About being singled out, made to show your stuff. Mostly they're about people who made some terrible mistake. Couldn't answer a question right. One concerns a boy who did a particularly bad job. His professor called him down to the front of the class, up to the podium, game the student a dime and said, loudly: "Go call your mother, and tell her you'll never become a lawyre."

Sometimes the story ends here, but the way I heard it, the crushed student bowed his head and limped slowly back through the one hundred and fifty students in the class. When he got to the door, his anger exploded. He screamed-- "You're a son of a bitch, Kingsfield."

"That's the first intelligent thing you've said," Kingsfield replied. "Come back. Perhaps I've been too hasty."

quincy

It's a line from the opening passage of John Jay Osborne's book about Harvard Law School called "The Paper Chase." The above quote is actuallyt he one us slightly tweaked as used in the movie so that Professor Kingsfield actually says it to Mr. Hart during class. (The other great book about the subject is Scott Turrow's One L).

The book opens with:

In the few days between the arrival at Harvard Law School and the first classes, there are rumors. And stories.

About being singled out, made to show your stuff. Mostly they're about people who made some terrible mistake. Couldn't answer a question right. One concerns a boy who did a particularly bad job. His professor called him down to the front of the class, up to the podium, game the student a dime and said, loudly: "Go call your mother, and tell her you'll never become a lawyre."

Sometimes the story ends here, but the way I heard it, the crushed student bowed his head and limped slowly back through the one hundred and fifty students in the class. When he got to the door, his anger exploded. He screamed-- "You're a son of a bitch, Kingsfield."

"That's the first intelligent thing you've said," Kingsfield replied. "Come back. Perhaps I've been too hasty."
Haha. Great lines.

The Paper Chase was a good movie but I don't remember reading the book. I did read Turow's OneL. Both are pretty accurate reflections of life in law school for most students.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am here to tell you that everything you've heard about Harvard law professors is true...:D;):p

FlyingRon

I am here to tell you that everything you've heard about Harvard law professors is true...:D;):p
My sister went to HLS not too long after these books came out. She thought 1L was better. 1L is more of a documentary book. The Paper Chase obviously was set based on JJO's experience at Harvard, but is more of the fictionarlized escapade and romance of Hart's character.

quincy

My sister went to HLS not too long after these books came out. She thought 1L was better. 1L is more of a documentary book. The Paper Chase obviously was set based on JJO's experience at Harvard, but is more of the fictionarlized escapade and romance of Hart's character.
Although I know a few who had Kingsfield-type law professors, Harvard Law has in recent years moved away from the Socratic method of teaching, as have other law schools. In other words, law classes are not nearly as scary as they might appear in The Paper Chase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">