• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract/Proposal dispute - do I really owe that much?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindorella

What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

I know that I live in Canada, but would like an opinion as to how others interpet this problem I have.

I received a Proposal for my roof to be completely redone - including resheathing. On the preprinted Proposal form it states "We propose hereby to furnish material and labour -- complete in accordance with above specifications, for the sum of" and the sum was $5,891.00. The only unknown specification that was listed above this notation was that the "replacement wood will be extra charge" -- meaning the sheathing wood would be extra.

I agreed to this proposal. No proper written contract was issued and I did not sign anything either. It was all done verbally.

Once the work was completed, the contractor phoned me to say that what I owed them was $8708.00. As of today, they have still not sent me a copy of the invoice. When I complained that it was not the agreed amount, their reply was that the extra money was for the replacement wood and the labour to install it. When I stated that that is not what the proposal said, their reply was that I should have "assumed" as much.

Do I really owe them for the labour to install the replacement wood when the proposal I agreed to does not say that?

At the time of the quote, I wanted a full quote price as I was doing it through my mortgage with improvements. I needed to know the amount of money I would be spending so I could ensure that it was included with my new mortgage. All along my lawyer for the mortgage has in trust the amount of $5,891.00. He has not been involved in this matter of the dispute up to this date. Should I get him involved?

Last edited:

cindorella

Company is 30 years old

Hi. The company I am dealing with is over 30 years old and going strong. That is one of the reasons I chose them as they were not a fly-by-night company.

The salesman that I was dealing with made a comment that in the 30 years he has been with the company that "no one has ever disputed an invoice before". Which I find very hard to believe.

cindorella

Can no one help me with this?

Does anyone have an idea about this? Would you pay it automatically or would you fight for you believed to be the price you should pay? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">