• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wondering2003

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I live in NC. The company I signed a contract with a steel building company in Florida on 5/03. Contract was only a faxed contract agreeing to a deposit of $1000 on a steel building. Contract stated no refund if we cancel. Did tell us we had 3 days to cancel but after that we will loose our deposit if we cancel. They did later send us an original contract but we never signed and returned the original. They also did not send us the information regarding the building (what kind of foundation needed, how to put the building together, etc.) until after the 3 day rescind period was over. Then they sent this information to us. We have now decided that this building is not feasible in our area because of the requirements of the foundation. We want to cancel the contract and receive our deposit back. Do we have any cause for getting this deposit back? Is a faxed signature legal between Florida and North Carolina? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kathy

V

vharkless

hmmmm

I am not a lawyer, but know something about contract law. usually, a faxed signiture is validated as a contract. not only that, but you paid them money binding the contract. However, you may be able to get your money back by suing them for unconscionable business practices. Even then, you may be in hot water because the no refund may be written in the contract. Next time, get all the information you need before putting money down for those "no refund" schemes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">