• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

In what way? A contract can't CONTRADICT the law, but if the law is silent on an issue, the contract can regulate it.

dooley6985

In what way? A contract can't CONTRADICT the law, but if the law is silent on an issue, the contract can regulate it.
No my state law is not silent on this issue. The contract is adding to the wording of my state's laws. The words they are using are more constrictive than the state law on the issue. So which do I go by? The words of the contract or state law? Which will hold up in court?

tranquility

The question cannot be answered in the abstract. It must be more specific. Including the state.

For instance, a contract cannot allow for a rental deposit greater than allowed by law. However, you can contract to limit your rights of free speech under the constitution.

dooley6985

I live in the state of California. I am trying to cancel my gym membership due to a legit back injury. The contract states that I can only cancel for permanent disability. California Civil code 1812.89 states

"Every contract for health studio services shall
contain a clause providing that if, by reason of death or disability,
the person agreeing to receive services is unable to receive all
services for which he has contracted,"

"For the purposes of this section, "disability" means a
condition which precludes the buyer from physically using the
facilities and the condition is verified by a physician."

I went to the doctors yesterday. I have a not from him. I dont think that I am going to be disabled for the rest of my life. I am just not able to use the gym in due to my back injury. I dont know when my back will be in better shape so I can use the facility. They are claiming to get out of a 1yr contract I have to be disabled for the rest of my life. Is that legal?

dooley6985

I am just wondering how legal that is to say someone has to be permantly disabled to get out of a 1yr contract. They said my doctors note has to say that I am permantly disabled.

tranquility

Show them and then send them CRR a letter listing the statute. Then, if they sue over the amount, you can have an argument about malicious prosecution.

dooley6985

When I talked to the people who handle the billing for this gym last week they said I could only cancel the contract if I am permantly disabled. They said it states that in my contract. Then I asked for a copy of said contract because I never got a copy of it after I signed it. They said I need to go get one from the gym. I then asked them how do they know whats in my contract if they dont have a copy. They said they dont know. WTF

ecmst12

Sounds like you talked to a moron. You need to send a WRITTEN request to cancel under the law you described.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">