• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract refund of services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GREGLENAE

What is the name of your state? California

2 years ago I signed up my son for karate lessons with monthly payment by automatic credit card payment on the 25th of each month. Payment made was for the next month ie pay month in advance. In contract was statement that cancellation of contract required 30 day notice. ON 25 August payment was made for Sept. On 1 Sept I phoned to tell school my son was not interested in Karate anymore. I inquired about refund of Sept fee. I was told no due to not meeting 30 day requirement to cancel. I inquired about giving me the ability to sell at a discount my one month membership to someone so I don't lose all my money. Told no. I also had pre purchased private lessons which they said I lose the money also. No contract was signed for the lessons with any disclaimers. Can they do this or do I have recourse. Can they accept money and then not provide the service and get to keep the money. I feel they have me over a barrel here. Can anybody help me with an answer?
Thanks.

racer72

Take the karate lessons yourself. And the next time your kid wants to take some kind of lessons, if the contract does not say 'month to month', beat the crap out of yourself so you don't get stuck into long term contracts. There is a way out though. Your contract (you read it right?) will have a medical disclaimer. If a doctor determines your son should not be taking karate lessons due to some mystery ailment, you can get out of the contract. Don't be surprised if they ask for a second opinion from their doctor, of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">