• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Valid without deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Snarfles

I have a contract here that I has been signed and dated and everything by a client for some work. On it as part of the payment terms it states a deposit. When he signed it however he didnt pay the deposit. Now he wants to cancel the contract even though work has begun. Is the contract legally binding without the deposit?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Snarfles said:
I have a contract here that I has been signed and dated and everything by a client for some work. On it as part of the payment terms it states a deposit. When he signed it however he didnt pay the deposit. Now he wants to cancel the contract even though work has begun. Is the contract legally binding without the deposit?

My response:

If there has been partial performance, then the contract is valid. Payment alone does not make a valid contract.

But, the "partial performance" must consist of acts "unequivocably referable" to the contract (acts which would not have been performed but for the contract).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">