• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract w/ Talent Entertainment Co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vze2myr2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Arizona. I answered an ad for "movie extras" & made an appt. I have no experience in the entertainment industry but am unemployed and thought maybe I could make a little money with the time I had before finding FT work. At the appt, the charming rep told me that he could guarantee work for me because the "mature" type is in need, I have beautiful eyes, darling, etc. I signed a limited contract only for the work, & while doing so, he said there's a $350 nonrefundable deposit for the photographer to take head shots, body shots and it had to be paid that day. Flag. So I said no one said anything about that over the phone & I don't have the credit cards w/ me to make the payment (a lie). He said I could call back later that day and provide the card # when I got home. Then he took me to a 2nd rep who gave me another form to sign which apparently indicates that I'm liable for the $350 regardless & if I don't pay they have a right to collect on the "debt." When I got home I did more internet research & decided that I don't want to be involved with this. So i called back and told the 2nd rep that I don't want to participate and won't be paying. He got his "collection" hat on and started trying to intimidate me, raising his voice and even calling me "flake." I remained calm, and told him that I don't care what he thinks of me, I'm still not paying. He continued but then said that it will be submitted for collections and hung up on me. Isn't there a cooling off period in AZ? Do I indeed under these circumstances have an obligation to pay? They called it a "deposit". I even asked the guy on the phone why aren't they taking the funds from the commissions since they guarantee work, and I didn't get an answer. What are my options? Do I need to worry about this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Arizona. I answered an ad for "movie extras" & made an appt. I have no experience in the entertainment industry but am unemployed and thought maybe I could make a little money with the time I had before finding FT work. At the appt, the charming rep told me that he could guarantee work for me because the "mature" type is in need, I have beautiful eyes, darling, etc. I signed a limited contract only for the work, & while doing so, he said there's a $350 nonrefundable deposit for the photographer to take head shots, body shots and it had to be paid that day. Flag. So I said no one said anything about that over the phone & I don't have the credit cards w/ me to make the payment (a lie). He said I could call back later that day and provide the card # when I got home. Then he took me to a 2nd rep who gave me another form to sign which apparently indicates that I'm liable for the $350 regardless & if I don't pay they have a right to collect on the "debt." When I got home I did more internet research & decided that I don't want to be involved with this. So i called back and told the 2nd rep that I don't want to participate and won't be paying. He got his "collection" hat on and started trying to intimidate me, raising his voice and even calling me "flake." I remained calm, and told him that I don't care what he thinks of me, I'm still not paying. He continued but then said that it will be submitted for collections and hung up on me. Isn't there a cooling off period in AZ? Do I indeed under these circumstances have an obligation to pay? They called it a "deposit". I even asked the guy on the phone why aren't they taking the funds from the commissions since they guarantee work, and I didn't get an answer. What are my options? Do I need to worry about this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Nobody can tell you if you need to worry without reading the contract you signed. You need a local attorney to review it for you and advise you of your options.

vze2myr2

I'm not sure what the spirit behind your question was -- but I will assume that you were not being facetious. The operation is pretty slick. They bring you to another small office with 2 people in it working; phones are ringing; conversations are flying; the 1st rep is there talking to me; other people are walking in and out interrupting and asking questions; 2nd rep is acting vary harried. There are alot of stimuli that I think are deliberate to cause confusion. The 2nd rep is telling me about the paper I'm about to sign while the 1st rep is talking to me too. And I got the impression that I was signing a form that indicated that if I defaulted on the deposite AFTER it was paid, then they could after me.

Why didn't you READ THE CONTRACT before you signed it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">