• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract without a date valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

William_K_F

What is the name of your state? California.

Is a contract valid if the signatures are not dated?

We have a dispute on recurring charges. The merchant
claims to have an agreement letting them charge us and
denies receipt of the cancelation. I think we can deny
the contract since they are being nasty about our
real cancelation because the contract is signed twice
but the blank for date is empty in both cases.

Thanks.

-William

JETX

"Is a contract valid if the signatures are not dated?"
Yep. Depending on a FULL review of the contract and its terms, the fact that you 'affirmed' the existance of the contract by either performance or payment is sufficient to prove that a contract existed.... whether dated or not.

W

William_K_F

Amex Charges involved

Hello,

Does it help that the contract is for auto charge to a credit card?

I canceled verbally, I canceled via email (per the contract, but don't have proof). Maybe AMEX is stricter and requires dated signatures to charge to a credit card?

Thanks.

-William

JETX

"Does it help that the contract is for auto charge to a credit card?"
*** No, and in my opinion, it actually 'hurts' the situation since the parties are removed from the situation and most credit card transactions are done so without 'human' actions.

Read the agreement and see what, if any, processes are required to cancel the charge order. Then, comply with them. At the very least, you need to send your instructions via 'real' USPS mail.... certified RRR.

Or, you may have the remedy of 'charge-back' as provided by the FCBA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">