• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor charges - what am I legally obligated to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakelch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

In September we had a contractor mudjack (pump grout under our driveway because it had washed away) our driveway for fear it would collapse. The estimate was vague and only stated a minimum charge of $350 plus time ($115/hr) and materials ($65/ton) due to the unknown scope of the voids. We were verbally told it would probably be a 3-4 hour job. When I received the bill it was for $1,115 which included 8 hrs of labor and 3 tons of grout. My husband had taken the day off to "supervise" the work. They were on my property less than 6 hours. We telephoned the person who had done the estimate and we agreed that 6 hours and 3 tons of grout was fair. He then said he would go to the owner with this proposal. A few days later I received a letter with a revised bill. The charge had been lowered to $991.25 which included 6 hours of labor, 3.75 tons of grout (an additional .75 tons from the original bill) and .5 hr for travel time. I responded to their letter with one of my own disputing the additional .75 ton of grout and the .5 hr travel time (which was not on the estimate). I wrote a check for $885.00 which was their charge of $991.25 minus the additional grout and travel time. Next I received a letter which included a new bill for $1,500! I received a phone call from a representative of the company who said that we owed the full amount of the new bill. After arguing with him for half an hour, I offered to pay the travel time to settle the situation but that I would not pay for grout that was no on the original bill. He said he would take it to the owner for approval. I just received a phone call today saying my proposal was rejected and they want the original $1,115. My question is, am I legally obligated to pay the original bill when they had already sent me an adjusted bill for less? Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">