• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Estimate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brookshill

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently requested that a contractor enter my home to prepare an estimate for sheetrock repairs etc. The contractor I chose provided an estimate for the repairs that I required. One thing led to another and I decided to do the repairs myself. Two months after I received the estimate from the contractor I receive an invoice for time spent preparing the estimate. I contacted the individual and he advised that he has to be compensated for his time and because I didn't choose to use his services he felt it necessary to charge for his time. I have written numerous letters to contractor expressing my opinions on the matter and he continues to demand payment. We are not talking about alot of money, but there is a fair amount of principal involved.

FACTS
It was never implied by the contractor, written or verbal, that there would be any charge for estimating.

No contracts were ever signed between the two of us.

DATES
9/12/02 Estimate prepared by contractor
11/19/02 Invoice received from contractor
12/10/02 Past Due Notice received from contractor (threatens to turn this in for collections if not paid immediately)

QUESTIONS
1. Can he charge me for writing his estimate under these circumstances?
2. Can I be held responsible once turned in for collection?
3. Is there any legal action I could take to put this issue to bed?

Extortion comes to mind when I review the facts of this quandary.

Sorry to be so long winded. Any helpful opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
Brooks

Last edited:

T

Tony Bells

contractor estimate

you are not obligated to pay for any estimate unless you agree in writing. estimates are the normal process of doing business. do not waste your time answering any of the contractor bills. if he pursues this in small claims court or whatever minor court you have in your community you problably can counter sue him for legal costs for malicious prosecution and harrassment. if contractors are required to be licensed you might want to call the licensing bureau and report harrassment. good luck........

HomeGuru

To the writer: send the contractor back your invoice in the same amount or more with a cover letter stating that you owe no money so let's call it even.

INVOICE

Legal review of contractor's estimate, invoice and past due notice.
Review of contract law, contractors licensing laws and call to the State Consumer Protection Office.

Total due $250.00

T

Tony Bells

contractor estimate

hello home guru....
your response was clever but it might be best if the author sever all communications with this contractor or there is no telling if the situation may become more aggrevated. i think the contractor is attempting to intemidate the author and i don't believe it will go any further.........let sleeping dogs lye.

HomeGuru

Re: contractor estimate

Tony Bells said:
hello home guru....
your response was clever but it might be best if the author sever all communications with this contractor or there is no telling if the situation may become more aggrevated. i think the contractor is attempting to intemidate the author and i don't believe it will go any further.........let sleeping dogs lye.

**A: well I guess we shall just agree to disagree then.
I would rather have the writer respond firmly with the stand that no money is owed for the estimate rather than ignoring the claim.

B

brookshill

Thanks for the replies.

I am keeping a log with details and dates of all conversations / correspondence with this guy. I thought about sending him a bill for my time as well which would total much more than the amount that he has requested. I still havent decided whether or not I should do that.

My biggest concern is that he turns the bill in for collections and then I have to deal with collection agencies etc. and risk damaging my credit.

I will probably just wait this thing out and see if he holds true to any of his threats.

Brooks

BTW ... I did report his company to the AGO in Texas in hopes that they could resolve the issue for me. Im not going to hold my breath on that one, but you never can tell.

T

Tony Bells

contract estimate

I would not be concerned with any collection agencies, they can't collect anything without a judgement issued by a court. If anyone attempts to harm your credit they would have serious legal consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">