• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor misrepresentation - running tab!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teriacky

What is the name of your state? California
Yesterday a contractor who had done work for me in the past came to my home and proceeded to tell me how bad things were for him in his life. (he's divorcing, has money problems, etc). Then, he presented me with bills for work done in 2000 and 2002, both which I was under the impression I had paid for. When he put in a sprinkler system in 2000, he told me he "needed some money" and that "a thousand would be fine". I paid him the money, assuming that this was his fee. I had him do some work in my dining room in early 2002 and he again told me he needed "a thousand". No bill was ever presented, so once again I assumed this was his charge. Yesterday he told me that that was just money "to keep the job going". He left after receiving the money both times, and the jobs were never totally completed. I have since looked up data on this man and his company through the State Contractor's Licensing Board and have discovered that he is not a licensed contractor, his business name is not listed, nor is the number given on his business card registered with the board. When I confronted him with this, he said, "I never represented myself as a contractor. I'm a handyman." No where on his business card does it say "handyman". He is now threatening me with a mechanic's lein for the (approximately) 5,000.00 he claims I owe him. He never quoted me a charge for any of these services because "I didn't ask for one". It was my belief he had been paid. The jobs were never completed. What recourse do I have?

racer72

Tell him to go pack sand and sue you. Without a signed contract, it will be strictly your word against his. Save the business card and other information you have for evidence. You may even wish to speak to an attorney just in case, an initial consultation won't cost much or are often free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">