• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor operating without license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spinal tap

What is the name of your state? California

My neighbor, who is very old, had some work done on her trees by a Tree service company. The work they did was fine, but they treated her poorly. In talking to her, she said they promised things that weren't done...etc. Anyways, I found out that this company does not have a current contractor's license. They also have 9 civil complaints against them at least one of which is preventing them from renewing their license. They also needed to be bonded to get their license renewed.

I have a feeling they are targeting older people. My neighbor doesn't want to go through the trouble of complaining as she needs a walker...etc.

I would like to file a complaint. I read on the CA Contractor license Board that anyone without a contractor's license cannot do work that is more than $500. Can I file a complaint on this contractor because he operated without a current license and my neighbor paid well over a thousand dollars.

Can I file the complaint, or is this guy pretty much free to do what he's doing until he comes across someone (customer) willing to complain?

Thanks.

Spinal tap said:

My neighbor, who is very old, had some work done on her trees by a Tree service company. The work they did was fine, but they treated her poorly. In talking to her, she said they promised things that weren't done...etc. Anyways, I found out that this company does not have a current contractor's license. They also have 9 civil complaints against them at least one of which is preventing them from renewing their license. They also needed to be bonded to get their license renewed.

I have a feeling they are targeting older people. My neighbor doesn't want to go through the trouble of complaining as she needs a walker...etc.

I would like to file a complaint. I read on the CA Contractor license Board that anyone without a contractor's license cannot do work that is more than $500. Can I file a complaint on this contractor because he operated without a current license and my neighbor paid well over a thousand dollars.

Can I file the complaint, or is this guy pretty much free to do what he's doing until he comes across someone (customer) willing to complain?

Thanks.
No! Do not keep letting this (non) contractor do this. This is one of the contributing factors of my high cost of business as a licensed, bonded, insured contractor. The only way those 9 complaints got registered is because people took the short amount of time to fill out this complaint form: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/forms/ComplaintForm.pdf. Then let the CSLB investigate. I'm not sure if not treating her nicely is a violation, but failure to perform work, as well as failure to be licensed for certain work over the threshhold (currently $500) should be investigated.

I run my business as if my mother had called us for service (God rest her soul, I just lost her in Oct). She'd want an honest price for honest service and we provide that. Otherwise we couldn't have been in business for 15 years and counting. These bozos deserve to be educated (again) in the proper way to conduct business in CA by the CSLB. Urge her to file the complaint so other seniors won't be treated as she was. It's nice that she has a neighbor watching out for her. Good luck.

Spinal tap

tryingtoplease said:
Urge her to file the complaint so other seniors won't be treated as she was. It's nice that she has a neighbor watching out for her. Good luck.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I know my neighbor doesn't want to "cause trouble" (her words), and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to file the complaint. Man, this lady has had it rough. She raised a mentally and physically disabled son all by herself. It must take some strength to do that all by herself for all those decades. Her son is in his 50's. We see the both of them walking around the neighborhood each with a walker.

I get so mad thinking about it. Everytime my mom tells me she had some work done, I'm afraid to ask how much it cost her. Then when I do, I have to bite my tongue. The thing that gets me the most is she always says how nice they were... I just picture them smiling at my mom while stealing her money.

Can I file it, sort of like a citizen's arrest deal? If nothing else, I want the CSLB to know about the expired license and doing work over $500. Oh, they didn't give her anything written. Just asked her for a check at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Spinal tap said:
I'm sorry for your loss.

I know my neighbor doesn't want to "cause trouble" (her words), and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to file the complaint. Man, this lady has had it rough. She raised a mentally and physically disabled son all by herself. It must take some strength to do that all by herself for all those decades. Her son is in his 50's. We see the both of them walking around the neighborhood each with a walker.

I get so mad thinking about it. Everytime my mom tells me she had some work done, I'm afraid to ask how much it cost her. Then when I do, I have to bite my tongue. The thing that gets me the most is she always says how nice they were... I just picture them smiling at my mom while stealing her money.

Can I file it, sort of like a citizen's arrest deal? If nothing else, I want the CSLB to know about the expired license and doing work over $500. Oh, they didn't give her anything written. Just asked her for a check at the end of the day.
Check around that website www.cslb.ca.gov. I'm pretty sure you could file a complaint against them, knowing they are unlicensed but not the payer. It's really unfortunate that your lovely lil neighbor doesn't want to. I know that I have come across a couple of unlicensed contractors that have done shoddy work. One of them caused a fire that almost cost a life. At what point, although this is only landscaping/trimming, does this become something that the CSLB should know about?

dallas702

Before you jump into someone else's problem think about this:

1- any complaint you make is hearsay.

2- if your filing turns out to be wrong you can be sued.

So, your best bet is to get your neighbor to file the complaint. Otherwise, you may put yourself on the hotseat.

Spinal tap said:

Thanks.
Your elderly neighbor should have stiffed the contractor.

California Business and Professions Code Section 7031 bars an unlicensed contractor from maintaining a lawsuit "for the collection of compensation for the performance of any act or contract where a license is required."

Last edited:

dcatz

Originally Posted by dallas702
So, your best bet is to get your neighbor to file the complaint. Otherwise, you may put yourself on the hotseat.
dallas702's advice is prudent, but, if your neighbor doesn't want to file, it may be subject to an exception in this instance.

The Board does have S.W.I.F.T. (Statewide Investigative Fraud Team) operations in No. and So. California to investigate reports of unlicensed activities. The "lead referral" form, which can be submitted in confidence and is not a sworn document, doesn't seem to be available on the site, but you can try calling (916) 255-2924 (Northern) or (565) 345-7676 (Southern) for forms and assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">