• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts for HOA's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wish2bHOAfree

What is the name of your state? Washington
When you own a condo or home in a Homeowner Association there is a contract that is signed, but what happens when the board of directors do not follow these rules? The board of directors where I live have refused certified letters that I have sent, The President of the Board hangs up on me, The Communications Coordinator has sent me two letters: one states that if I call and ask any questions about a certain subject that I should be prepared to be hung up on, the second letter states I am forbidden to call. The Treasurer of the board and the bookkeeper have blocked my phone number so I cannot call. I really need some tips about the duties of the board and is this a violation of fiduciary duties?

JETX

Simply, read your HOA articles and rules and talk with your neighbors. If you get enough to agree with you, run for the board at the next election.

However, I have to ask.... how many board meetings have they had in the past year and how many have you attended??

HomeGuru

wish2bHOAfree said:
What is the name of your state? Washington
When you own a condo or home in a Homeowner Association there is a contract that is signed, but what happens when the board of directors do not follow these rules? The board of directors where I live have refused certified letters that I have sent, The President of the Board hangs up on me, The Communications Coordinator has sent me two letters: one states that if I call and ask any questions about a certain subject that I should be prepared to be hung up on, the second letter states I am forbidden to call. The Treasurer of the board and the bookkeeper have blocked my phone number so I cannot call. I really need some tips about the duties of the board and is this a violation of fiduciary duties?
**A: I am sure that there is a lot more to this one-sided story. What did you do to piss them off?

W

wish2bHOAfree

If I did make the board members mad at me that does not give them the right to do the things that they have been doing. I stood my ground when they did not want to replace a wet stud that was the cause of dry rot in my kitchen. They only wanted to replace the dry wall and it is only common sense that that you must replace the stud before you put new dry wall on the stud. As far this sounding like a one sided story well I have had to put up with a lot of the abusive treatment by these people and I have done nothing to warrant this behavior. They are not used to someone asking questions and speaking out towards issues that unit owners have the right to do. They can use the money that we pay each month for our assessments to hire lawyers to bring frivolous court actions against us and they know that people cannot afford to fight back. If you take it as one sided than that is your issue not mine, what I wrote was just a sample of what they have been doing and I don't care if people choose to to assume that we must have done something to piss them off. That does not give them the right to abuse their powers of being board members and that is exactly what they are doing.:mad:

JETX

I very simply refer you back to my original post on this thread....

"Simply, read your HOA articles and rules and talk with your neighbors. If you get enough to agree with you, run for the board at the next election.

However, I have to ask.... how many board meetings have they had in the past year and how many have you attended??"

W

wish2bHOAfree

Most of the neighbors do not want to get involved because they are afraid of being the next target of the board members harassment. I go to all of the board meetings and they have had four meetings this year they have cancelled two meetings so far.
The Truth Never Changes

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">