• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts with Minors -- Are the legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kjansons

State: Colorado

Hello,
I am 16 years old, and was previously employed by a local Internet Service Provider. The reason I quit was because they made all employees either sign a non-compete/non-disclosure document or risk termination. The document said employees couldn't do anything to compete with the company, until after 2 or so years after they are no longer employees. That is the reason why I quit, as I think that if I want to start my own Internet related company I should be able to anytime I want.

Now they are looking to hire employees, and are starting hiring wage at a higher rate, and my question is that if I sign this contract/notice/legal document thing, since I am 16, is it legally enforcable if I decide to quit and start my own business, since I have heard many times that you can't make a contract with a minor.

Thank you for any help,

-kj

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">