• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractual breach/repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treann

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have a question that i need legal information regarding. I received a civil summons to appear in court. I contacted the collection firm that is pursuing the matter, and in return, I was informed that I can set up a repayment plan. If i agree to a repayment plan can an individual still pursue legal action once an agreement have been entered into, and you are complying with its terms? Also, what rights do i have if the individual fails to dismiss the lawsuit eventhough and agreement been entered into for repayment?

w98

From my own experience, if you owe money to Company A which they then get Company B to collect, Company B typically "buys" the debt from Company A (at a much reduced cost), and then Company B (aka, the Collections business) is who would have offered you repayment terms.

If you question is whether Company A can still pursue legal action against you, I guess you'd need proof whether Company B now owns the debt you've incurred, or if they're acting on bhalf of Company A.

If Company B has indeed take ownership of the debt you owe, then you should have no other contact with Company A until your business with Company B is taken care of.

If Company B is simply acting on behalf of Company A, (ie: Company B is a legal firm subsidiary of Company A) then I would *presume* that they can only take one legal action at a time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">