• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigned for car loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandra D. Newberry

i live in florida and april of this year i cosigned for a car for my daughter. because of the death of her father who lived in ohio, she fell behind on payments. she's now two months behind on payments and the 26th of this month will be three months. a guy working on behalf of the bank came to our house and talked to my daughter and told her if she pay one payment before the end of this month; it will help her out. but today we received in the mail a letter from the bank asking for the entire balance of the car loan plus interest and late fees. the car has not been repossed at this present time. my daughter is trying all she can to pay the one payment and then the other two payments august 1. what is our legal rights here and please give what advice you can to help us out.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It's in the loan contract. There are words to the effect, that state, "Upon default, Bank has the option to accellerate payment of the entire balance due on this loan."

Your only option, as I see it, is to bring the money you owe on the back payments to the bank, and hope you can speak to a sympathetic bank manager.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">