+ Reply to Thread
    skydivinkate Guest

Thumbs down

il I am a cosigner on an auto loan I want to get out of it without losing money the auto is worth 13K the loan is 18K the other party does not have the 5K the reason I want out is due to the fact the other party was not carrying insurance for 6 months and I am on the title as well. Do I have any legal recourse to get out of this mess or can I protect myself financially in any way?
    Thank You?
    loku Guest

Co signer of loan

The only way you can relieve yourself of liability on the loan is to get the lender to refinance the loan without your name on it. However, I imagine that can not be done, so you are stuck with the possible liability.

You can get your name off the title by transferring ownership to the other party, then file whatever form your state motor vehicle department has to relieve you of ownership responsibility. However, you would still have potential liability on the loan.

Similar Threads

1. Auto Cosigner
    By tejoch in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
  2. cosigner on loan
    By 2broke in forum Small Claims Courts
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 09:41 AM
  3. Rights after death of auto loan cosigner?
    By ArlynB in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 05:41 PM
  4. Rights after death of auto loan cosigner?
    By ArlynB in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 04:53 PM
  5. loan cosigner being sued
    By laraine in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2001, 11:50 AM