• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigner Rights- Ohio and Kentucky

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheRealFnGame

I have a question for everyone, and I'm really hoping someone can clearify something for me.

Location of Title for Car: Ohio Title
Car's Current Location: Kentucky

Several months ago, my father cosigned for an auto loan for my sister. She has been lacing in payments.

My father is not on the title. The car itself was purchased and titled in Ohio. However, my sister has packed up and moved to Kentucky, and has been there for several months.

I'm very aware of the laws in Ohio, as I've worked in car sales my entire life. However, since she has moved out of state, Im not sure if there is some kind of loophole surrounding this law. He wants to reposess the vehicle from her, sell it himself, and pay off the remaining balance. Again, this would not be a possibility if she were still in Ohio, but since she has left state, Im not sure how the law would apply.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can give. If we can't get it resolved, we are just going to give the lien holder a call with her address, and have them go get it. He just wants to save his credit.

Any Advice?

Thanks all!!

racer72

My father is not on the title.
Then he has no legal claim to take the vehicle.

The only way for your father to save his credit is to pay off the outstanding balance then sue your sister. If the vehicle is repossessed by the lien holder, you father will become liable for the deficiency and will take the hit for the repo on his credit report.

tranquility

As soon as I saw the title "Cosigner Rights" I knew the answer was not going to be liked much by the poster. Cosigner's don't have rights, they have responsibilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">