• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Countertop reinstall related expense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Familydongs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I recently remodeled my kitchen, and purchased the cabinets and countertop from a store. They did countertop design, measurement and installation. Only a few months now, the countertop breaks without any improper usage. It's mainly due to their bad design and the product problem and they admit it.
Now they agree to change it for me with no expense, however they won't do the related finish. They want to add support underneath and redesigned as round corner near wall instead of sharp, but they asked me to find my own contractor to do a wall polish and fill up the gap between wall and countertop. They only do simple installation.
My question is, should I pay for the related extra labor? Or they are responsible for all related expense?
Also I tried to find some contractors but no one is willing to come for such small work. The store offers their labor but for a charge of $300. If it should pay it, how can I get a fair price? Thanks

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I recently remodeled my kitchen, and purchased the cabinets and countertop from a store. They did countertop design, measurement and installation. Only a few months now, the countertop breaks without any improper usage. It's mainly due to their bad design and the product problem and they admit it.
Now they agree to change it for me with no expense, however they won't do the related finish. They want to add support underneath and redesigned as round corner near wall instead of sharp, but they asked me to find my own contractor to do a wall polish and fill up the gap between wall and countertop. They only do simple installation.
My question is, should I pay for the related extra labor? Or they are responsible for all related expense?
Also I tried to find some contractors but no one is willing to come for such small work. The store offers their labor but for a charge of $300. If it should pay it, how can I get a fair price? Thanks
As they have admitted, the design was flawed, which ultimately led to the breakage of the countertop.

As I see it, they could replace said countertop, but it doesn't address the design issues. And it's entirely possible that, in order to correct the design issues, it might cost more to finish the job. Makes total sense. So, they could (for the same price) replace the countertop and restore you to where you were before the counter broke. Or, you could pay the extra charges necessary to implement the NEW design that won't end up breaking soon after it gets installed. Or you could just ask for your money back, then pay the money to another contractor to do the job at whatever additional expense it would cost - with any extra expense being on your own dime (as it would have been with the original contractor).

Familydongs

Thank you for your reply sandyclaus.
They are ok with the new design, since they don't want any breaks further anyway.
However, regardless new design or restore where it was, they won't do any finish but only the countertop installation. Should I pay for the finish (like filling the gaps between countertop and wall) out of my pocket? Thanks

OHRoadwarrior

You are your own contractor. They are your supplier. They are only responsible for replacing their defective product. You are responsible for finish work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">