• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Appointed Atty - obligated to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmartin

What is the name of your state? California

My family recently had a court appointed atty in juvy court. A paper was recvd with an appointed atty's name, etc. We went to court twice (15 mins ea time in front of judge) - I get a call today from the County Recovery that I owe $653 for services rendered!

At NO time was I advised of nor did a sign anything about being responsible for a fee. Sounds stupid now but I thought court appointed attys were somehow paid thru the system.

Do I have any rights not to pay this and not have a lien or smalls claim or anyother action taken against my credit? I have not recvd a billing for it or anything, just a call from Recovery that it is due and payable now!

Do I have to pay, and if so WHO can I argue this with? As I feel very strongly that I was not advised as I was with EVERY other aspect of this entire ordeal?

racer72

Court appointed attorneys are not free. Fees are based on ones ability to pay. Taxpayers should not have to pay the legal fees for those that can afford it. If you feel the amount is more than you can afford, contact the public defenders office and they will gladly work out a fee that you can afford.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">