• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court order to have someone take over a car loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nnmalloy1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
I was in a relationship when I acquired a car loan solely in my name for my partner. Now that we are no longer together, I wanted to know if I had any legal right to have him to get the loan in his name solely. The loan payments come directly from his account but on a couple of occasions he has had to inform me that he didn't have the money to cover all of it and luckily the bank has covered the amount and of course charged him for the overdraft fees. I am just afraid that he will retaliate by changing his account to where no payments will not be made and it will definitely affect my credit. He currently has the vehicle in his possession and also the tags and registration are in both of our names as well. So, I am just curious to know if I have any legal ground to stand on and woul this be something that I can handle in my local small claims court?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
I was in a relationship when I acquired a car loan solely in my name for my partner. Now that we are no longer together, I wanted to know if I had any legal right to have him to get the loan in his name solely. The loan payments come directly from his account but on a couple of occasions he has had to inform me that he didn't have the money to cover all of it and luckily the bank has covered the amount and of course charged him for the overdraft fees. I am just afraid that he will retaliate by changing his account to where no payments will not be made and it will definitely affect my credit. He currently has the vehicle in his possession and also the tags and registration are in both of our names as well. So, I am just curious to know if I have any legal ground to stand on and woul this be something that I can handle in my local small claims court?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In whose name is the car's title ~ Yours only ~ Yours and his/hers ~ Yours or his/hers?

nnmalloy1

The title is still in the possession of the bank that I took the loan out with. There's about three years left before the loan is actually paid off. I would like to have the loan taken out of my name and have him apply for his own loan so if anything should happen he would be solely responsible for loan. I have asked him several times to go and take out his own loan for the vehicle. He has refused and states that he's making payments so why should he get his own loan for the vehicle. I am concerned about he level of responsibility and the future of my credit stability if he should fail to continue to make payments.

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">