• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cracked Basement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldassow

I am in the process of building a home. Last summer (2000) I contracted out our basement. The builders poured a cement floor and foam walls with cement poured in them. This past spring I have had problems with water coming in through the walls in about a dozen places, which means the cement in the walls must have seperated. Also the floor is cracking, badly. We have tried to get the builders to fix the problem, but they do not return phone calls. What are my legal rights?

E

Elliotg

Send them a letter by certified return receipt mail. Demand that they repair the defects. Keep a copy for your records. Write that they should respond in writing within 10 days. If they fail to promptly resolve the matter, get a written estimate from a second licensed contractor. Then make an appointment with an attorney.

You should schedule a formal consultation with a lawyer. A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting your State's bar association or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">