• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist Buyer Wants Refund? What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark217

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So I sold this new Game Controller on Craigslist. The Controller is brand new in box and has never been used or opened. I met up with the buyer he saw it and paid me cash.

Well, a few hours later he claims that it doesn't work. I ask him to try a few things and he did and said it still doesn't work. Now he tell me he is trying something and hasn't reply. I really don't want to give refund. I've sold many things on Craigslist for years and rarely got complain after sale. I've only gave refund once cause something was wrong with an item that I didn't know about. What should I do in this situation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's no way we can decide what you should do. If you didn't offter any sort of guarantee, then you're under no legal obligation to return the money, but it might make life easier to do so.

Mark217

Thanks for the reply.

He never told me he wanted a refund. He just said it has issues. He hasn't reply to me for a few hours now. I find it really weird since the controller is new and shouldn't have problem.

Mark217

Well he claimed that there is an issue with the controller. However he hasn't reply to me for hours now. I thought he was going to ask for a refund but he hasn't said so. If he doesn't say anything back, should I assume that the controller is working?

Zigner

Well he claimed that there is an issue with the controller. However he hasn't reply to me for hours now. I thought he was going to ask for a refund but he hasn't said so. If he doesn't say anything back, should I assume that the controller is working?
It's 9:30 in the morning. Just wait and see. Either way, you really have no legal obligation towards the guy.

Mark217

So it's been over 24 hours since he replied to me. Am I completely off the hook now? Like if he does say anything about refund can I tell him that the sale is final and I wont refund his money?

Zigner

So it's been over 24 hours since he replied to me. Am I completely off the hook now? Like if he does say anything about refund can I tell him that the sale is final and I wont refund his money?
The sale was final the moment he handed you the money and you handed him the controller. Whether you return the money (if he even asks) is up to you. As I said before (twice, even), you have no legal obligation to return the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">