• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit application for home equity loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

galetuaoi

What is the name of your state? American Samoa, U S Territory

I applied on Oct 16, 2002, for a home equity loan. Amount requested $10k; Home appraised at $150; and is paid for, free of any liens. On Nov 27, 2002, loan officer declined application because their records showed 23 NSF checks on my account. LO regretted doing this because I had an excellent record of paying last two loans. I returned to bank with proof of their errors disproving their records, and requested reconsideration. On 1st week of Feb 03, I met with a different loan officer who again denied my application, this time for poor credit rating. I had not received written notification of their decision(s).
Can the bank change their reasons for denying an application? Don't they have to notify me in writing and within a specific time period? What are my rights?
The bank is ANZ Amerika Samoa Bank, Member of FDIC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

galetuaoi said:
What is the name of your state? American Samoa, U S Territory

I applied on Oct 16, 2002, for a home equity loan. Amount requested $10k; Home appraised at $150; and is paid for, free of any liens. On Nov 27, 2002, loan officer declined application because their records showed 23 NSF checks on my account. LO regretted doing this because I had an excellent record of paying last two loans. I returned to bank with proof of their errors disproving their records, and requested reconsideration. On 1st week of Feb 03, I met with a different loan officer who again denied my application, this time for poor credit rating. I had not received written notification of their decision(s).
Can the bank change their reasons for denying an application? Don't they have to notify me in writing and within a specific time period? What are my rights?
The bank is ANZ Amerika Samoa Bank, Member of FDIC

My response:

This site is only for the United States of America. American Samoa is not a "State" of the United States. It is only a "Territory" of the United States.

Persons born in American Samoa are nationals but not citizens of the United States. American Samoa has been a United States territory since 1900. Congress has delegated civil and military authority in American Samoa to the President, who has re-delegated the authority to the Secretary of the Interior. With the approval of the Secretary, American Samoa has its own constitution and is governed by a locally elected Governor and Legislature. The Governor has broad authority to promulgate executive regulations which do not conflict with local statutes.

Since none of us practice Samoan law, we cannot help you. For all we know, the basic tenets of law in your country are different than those of the United States; i.e., our Federal laws may be far and away different from that of Samoan Federal law.

You're going to need a local attorney to help you. Call the local "Tribal Council Chief" - - he's the real big guy wearing the grass skirt, feathered headdress, and the funny looking face mask - - and see if you can obtain a telephone number and free consultation.

Good luck.

IAAL

P.S. Also, we're not too thrilled with any country who has a business that spells Amerika with a "K". Sounds a bit "N A Z I".

Last edited:

HomeGuru

How can a **** like bank be a member of the FDIC?
I though it accepted only communist atheists as members.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">