• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Debt responsibility - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Structuralist

My mother-in-law was about 79-years old when she applied and received a credit card (approximately seven years ago). At the time, she listed her daughter's name so as to allow her to make purchases for her mother whose health was deteriorating. My mother-in-law developed approximately $8,000.00 in debt on the card which she had been paying.

Her health deteriorated about 18-months ago and she passed away ten days ago. We are being hounded and harrassed by a collection company who claims we inherited the debt. He said that when my wife put her signiture on a credit card receipt she became responsible for the debt when her mother died. My wife did not use the card for personal spending - only for what her mother needed and was unable to physically purchase on her own.

He was tenatious, insulting and unrelenting in his attack on my wife - which brought her to tears considering her mother only died ten days ago. He told her that another credit card company had approved her mother for $4800.00 and he would settle the account if my wife would use the other card to pay him off. My wife reminded him that this would not be legal as her mother already died and she had no intention of doing this. He responded that he would ruin us, lien our home, report us to credit companys and he would happily serve the papers on us personally.

Is my wife responsible for the debts of her mother if she acted only as her mothers agent when using the card?

How can I stop the harrasment?

Has he stepped over the line and can I file a complaint against the collection company and the legal firm he claims to work for?

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">