• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card not charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Still Learning

What is the name of your state? Florida

I paid for a year of health insurance coverage on 8/26 using a credit card. The person who took my data called for a charge authorization and issued me a receipt stating that I and my spouse are covered for the period 8/02 to 8/03, the coverage purchased and the amount paid.
I submitted a claim in December and received a confirmation postcard in January saying that the claim was being processed.
Last month, my spouse was hospitalized for 24 days. The insurance company is now saying that we are not covered because the credit card transaction was not processed.
There is no reason why my credit card would have denied payment. The credit authorization was done over the phone while I was sitting there, so there was no problem. They simply did not process it, six months ago, and no-one noticed.
I have a signed receipt stating that I paid in full and am covered.
How do I force them to pay my insurance claim?

ShyCat

No one noticed? Not even you? Ya, sure. When that charge did not appear on your credit card statement, you should have been on the phone. Obviously a mistake occurred somewhere along the line, it happens. You should have reported this as soon as you noticed that the charge was AWOL. You didn't, so now you have this mess.

The "paid in full" part is conditioned on completion of the transaction. If you'd given them a bad check, do you think that "paid in full" notation would mean you did not have to make good on the NSF'd check?

Doesn't your auto insurance provide proof of insurance along with the bill for the next six months? If you don't pay that bill, do you think that proof of insurance is still valid?

No, I didn't think so.

Offer to pay for the prior coverage. Who knows, they might bite. I doubt it though.

S

Still Learning

credit card not charged

No I did not notice. I scan my credit card statements for illegitimate charges. I don't check to see if people who were authorized to make legitimate charges made them. I have never known that to be a problem. It's something you can usually count on, that thing where people want the money they are authorized to collect.

Could someone please comment on the legal issue here? They issued coverage based on a credit authorization. They did not follow up by processing the transaction. I had no reason to suspect that they would not process the authorized transaction. My credit card would not have denied it. It was presumably an error on their part.

I want to know the LEGAL status of the transaction.

At what point is the transaction considered complete from my side? I presented a method of payment and proper ID. The agent verified my ID, contacted the credit card for authorization to make the charge, and gave me a receipt. To be honest, I thought that the transaction had been completed and the charge was made on the spot.

As a matter of interest, ShyCat, please complete your opinion about "what if it was a bad check." Is the merchant obliged to tell you that the check was bad, i.e. obliged to give you the opportunity to provide another form of payment? Is it legal for them to cancel the issued insurance coverage without informing you?

ShyCat, when your spouse (asuming you are married) is in the ICU, I hope that someone treats your inquiry as you treated mine.

Souix

Re: credit card not charged

Still Learning said:
No I did not notice. I scan my credit card statements for illegitimate charges. I don't check to see if people who were authorized to make legitimate charges made them. I have never known that to be a problem. It's something you can usually count on, that thing where people want the money they are authorized to collect.

Could someone please comment on the legal issue here? They issued coverage based on a credit authorization. They did not follow up by processing the transaction. I had no reason to suspect that they would not process the authorized transaction. My credit card would not have denied it. It was presumably an error on their part.

I want to know the LEGAL status of the transaction.

At what point is the transaction considered complete from my side? I presented a method of payment and proper ID. The agent verified my ID, contacted the credit card for authorization to make the charge, and gave me a receipt. To be honest, I thought that the transaction had been completed and the charge was made on the spot.

As a matter of interest, ShyCat, please complete your opinion about "what if it was a bad check." Is the merchant obliged to tell you that the check was bad, i.e. obliged to give you the opportunity to provide another form of payment? Is it legal for them to cancel the issued insurance coverage without informing you?

ShyCat, when your spouse (asuming you are married) is in the ICU, I hope that someone treats your inquiry as you treated mine.

I'm no attorney, but common sense tells me, you must pay for your coverage before it becomes effective. You should have noticed on the credit card statement along long time ago that it was not there and called the company to find out why. I believe that you are the one that should take full responsibility for your oversight. How can the company inform you of cancellation when there was no effective coverage to begin with?

S

Still Learning

Not a scam

It is not a scam. I purchased health insurance because we need health insurance. I paid with my credit card. The agent took my credit card, processed it in some way, and gave me a receipt. I had no reason to believe that they did not charge my credit card. I have never had that happen before.

I am trying to get some legal advice here. I am not here to get insults or people's opinions about whether it's my fault for being too trusting or whatever.

I think I came to the wrong place. You people are so bitter and angry and mean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">