• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Counselor scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

normoose

What is the name of your state? Maine
I was called by a credit counseling service that said that they were non-profit and that all of my money would go towards paying my bill.
I am a mentally disabled, working american, returning to the work force after being unemployed since 1998 and want to pay my bills. I was rushed into a deal with this company and they faxed me some papers to sign at work after I told them that I did not want to be bothered at work. I filled in the papers while taking phone calls about computer problems and solving them.,
Any way, I have been shuffled from one person to the next after requesting where my money was to go and that I wold not send them anymore money until they gave me a statement.
They were getting (or got) $278 so far and when I told them that I was not going to send money until I got a statement they are saying thayt the $278 was a fee for applying for assitance.

Where should I go?

racer72

The non profit crap is just a business ploy. The place does not earn a profit but clients must pay for the counsilors services. File a complaint with your state attorney general's office. If enough folks complain, they may step in and stop this deceptive practice. For you unfortunately, it is too late.

N

normoose

Thanx for the input. This company was started in March 2003 and I have lodged a complaint with the local BBB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">