• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked car dealer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neden4_1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

A few months ago my wife traded in her car for another vehicle from a used car dealership. She was given a document to sign stating that if she were to move, she had to give the dealership 30 days notice in order to keep the vehicle. My wife called me yesterday and saying that she had told them she was going to be moving out of state and who ever she was dealing with at the dealership told her if she took the vehicle out of state they would repossess it. She mentioned to the about the document they made her sign and she was told that they don't offer that service anymore and she would have to surrender the vehicle or they will repossess it if they find out it is another state. Is this legal, or have we been snuffed by a crooked car dealer? What can I do to resolve this problem so my wife will not be without a vehicle?

Some Random Guy

Does the contract state that she is not allowed to move out of state or that the car dealer has to approve her move? If not, then they have no right to add additional terms to her contract.

Call back and get the name of "who ever" at the dealership.

Then send them a certified letter wih return receipt informing them of the move and that their threats by "who ever" to reposess the vehicle are baseless since she has lived up to the terms of the contract. Let them know that they will be sued if they attempt an illegal reposession of the vehicle. Keep a copy of the letter and the return receipt from the certified mail.

It doesn't matter if "they don't offer that service anymore". They offered it to her in the contract and they have to fulfill their end of the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">