• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged Auction Item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CAGuy25

I am in CA.

I listed an item on eBay and shipped the item, however due to movement or handling in shipping, the item was damaged. It was a few sets of coins, one set where the corner of the coin holder was damaged, not so much that any coins were out or in danger of falling out, but just cracked and a little chipped off.

Now, the guy wants to totally reneg on the whole deal because of this one chipped corner. I said that I was willing to check with FedEx to see if their insurance would cover it, but have heard nothing so far. If they are unwilling to cover it, would/should he be able to reneg entirely, or would an option be to just replace the broken part?

FYI, the original listing did not make any mention of the condition of the set and invited questions if anything needed clearing up.

Here is the original text:

"Included in this auction are the silver proof sets from 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. All sets are in their original mint boxes with the COA's. This will be a true auction with no reserve. Insurance is optional but suggested. Thank you for looking. Buyer pays shipping, handling & insurance $6.50. Multiple items can be grouped to save on shipping. Feel free to email with any questions."

The reference to mint boxes, is referring to the US mint boxes that these sets came in, they are then encased in plastic holders to keep the coins stationary.

HomeGuru

CAGuy25 said:
I am in CA.

I listed an item on eBay and shipped the item, however due to movement or handling in shipping, the item was damaged. It was a few sets of coins, one set where the corner of the coin holder was damaged, not so much that any coins were out or in danger of falling out, but just cracked and a little chipped off.

Now, the guy wants to totally reneg on the whole deal because of this one chipped corner. I said that I was willing to check with FedEx to see if their insurance would cover it, but have heard nothing so far. If they are unwilling to cover it, would/should he be able to reneg entirely, or would an option be to just replace the broken part?

FYI, the original listing did not make any mention of the condition of the set and invited questions if anything needed clearing up.

Here is the original text:

"Included in this auction are the silver proof sets from 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. All sets are in their original mint boxes with the COA's. This will be a true auction with no reserve. Insurance is optional but suggested. Thank you for looking. Buyer pays shipping, handling & insurance $6.50. Multiple items can be grouped to save on shipping. Feel free to email with any questions."

The reference to mint boxes, is referring to the US mint boxes that these sets came in, they are then encased in plastic holders to keep the coins stationary.

**A: how could the cases get broken? Did you pack them properly and securely with bubble wrap? If the coins were packed properly, there would be no reason for the holders to become damaged even if the Fed Ex workers threw the package in their truck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">