• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages incurred while at the repair shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lea213

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
Hi,
I recently took my car to Tires Plus because I was having problems with my clutch. After looking at my car they called and said that they would have to replace my clutch along with the slave plate, for a total cost of $984. They informed me that they would begin the work that evening and have it done by early afternoon the next day. By early evening the next day I called to see if my car was ready, at which point they informed me it would be done within the next couple of hours. When I hadn't heard from them by early afternoon the day after that, I called and they informed me that the clutch was working fine, but everytime they tried to drive it out of their lot, the brake pressure failed. They have said that they really don't know what is wrong, but they are ordering several parts to test the problem. I told them that I don't want to pay for these additional charges because there was nothing wrong with my brakes when I took my car in. In fact, they put four new tires on about three months ago and informed me that my brake system was looking fine. Furthermore, they day I took my car in, I had no problems with the brakes whatsoever. They are now insisting that I either pay for the additional repairs, or take the car back without them, and thus no additional charges. I have requested to see all parts being replaced so that I can have them inspected, but this doesn't seem right. I don't understand how they can break something while my car is in their posession and then insist I pay for those incurred damages. Can anybody help??
Thank you,
Lea

justalayman

It is possible that something did fail while in their possession. It is possible they damaged something to cause the need for the repair. Without knowing what they are actually replacing, it is impossible to even guess which it is.

Is there some reason you have not simply gone down there and let them show you what the problem is. Like the old saying " a picture is worth a thousand words" Seeing it in person is even better.

Once you come to some conclusion as to what happened and why, then you can go to the next step and decide if they are responsible or if was simply a matter of coincidence.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
Hi,
I recently took my car to Tires Plus because I was having problems with my clutch. After looking at my car they called and said that they would have to replace my clutch along with the slave plate, for a total cost of $984. They informed me that they would begin the work that evening and have it done by early afternoon the next day. By early evening the next day I called to see if my car was ready, at which point they informed me it would be done within the next couple of hours. When I hadn't heard from them by early afternoon the day after that, I called and they informed me that the clutch was working fine, but everytime they tried to drive it out of their lot, the brake pressure failed. They have said that they really don't know what is wrong, but they are ordering several parts to test the problem. I told them that I don't want to pay for these additional charges because there was nothing wrong with my brakes when I took my car in. In fact, they put four new tires on about three months ago and informed me that my brake system was looking fine. Furthermore, they day I took my car in, I had no problems with the brakes whatsoever. They are now insisting that I either pay for the additional repairs, or take the car back without them, and thus no additional charges. I have requested to see all parts being replaced so that I can have them inspected, but this doesn't seem right. I don't understand how they can break something while my car is in their posession and then insist I pay for those incurred damages. Can anybody help??
Thank you,
Lea
I don't like the bought several parts to " test " the problem at all .

You have indicated you have requested to see all parts being replaced so that I can have them inspected .

First off before they even ordered these parts to " allegedly " test to see what's wrong , they should have had your approval to go ahead with it .

It now appears you have agreed to these parts , as you want the old ones , to test .

Reality is , how are you going to test the old ones , when you're not sure what parts they are and if they could be bench tested .

I would have and still would pull the auto out of there , take it to a authorized manufacture repair facility , and have the auto diagnosed and fixed by an ASE certified mechanic .

If their conclusion is the other shop did something to make your brakes fail , then have them note it on you estimate/receipt that in their opinion the other shop broke ( whatever parts, etc ) while in their possession .

Then request the other shop to reimburse you , by sending them a copy of the Receipt by RRR certified mail . Give them 10 business days after the receipt of the request to pay you .

If they do not pay you , sue them and/or see what route you can take through DMV safety repair complaint .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">