• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dating service ripoff, any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tiler1

What is the name of your state? WA
I just found out that I have a $5200 lien against my property that's from a 1993 dispute with a company no longer in business(Matchmakers dating service). I was pressured to write and pre-date 3 checks(total $1080) and sign a contract but the next morning I called, cancelled, and cancelled the checks. Being not legal-savvy, I ignored the threats and apparantly got a default judgment which accrues interest at 12%. Is there anything I can do other than pay this $5200 ?

JETX

Your first recourse is to see if you were properly 'noticed' of the lawsuit. To do that, contact the original court and review the casefile. If you were not noticed as required, you can file a motion to set the judgment aside....

If you can't get the judgment dismissed, you have little recourse but to pay it.... get a signed release and a release of lien.

F

franklin2003

If the company is no longer in business and its been 10 years, then who will get the money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">