• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter's situation - living with boyfriend's family now they want $$$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yjkaries

What is the name of your state? Florida

FLA - Daughter living in BF's family's home - after breakup they want back rent?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making a long story short, my daughter and her boyfriend moved into his grandparent's home in FLA after he was left homeless. The understanding was that they would live there, get jobs, save money and move and get their own place. There was no written contract or document stating that they had to pay rent or any utilities. The relationship ended after the boyfriend was arrested for theft. Daughter ending this relationship and moved out of the grandparent's house and is now home. I received an email from the mother stating that daughter owes them 453.00 in back rent and utility charges (this was a lump sum given no breakdown). This is surprising to my daughter since nothing was said that she must pay rent while she was living there and this was not brought up until she ended the relationship.

She is upset over this and is wondering if they have a legal case to pursue? She is a 19 yr old student and is presently not working. Advice would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

yjkaries said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

FLA - Daughter living in BF's family's home - after breakup they want back rent?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making a long story short, my daughter and her boyfriend moved into his grandparent's home in FLA after he was left homeless. The understanding was that they would live there, get jobs, save money and move and get their own place. There was no written contract or document stating that they had to pay rent or any utilities. The relationship ended after the boyfriend was arrested for theft. Daughter ending this relationship and moved out of the grandparent's house and is now home. I received an email from the mother stating that daughter owes them 453.00 in back rent and utility charges (this was a lump sum given no breakdown). This is surprising to my daughter since nothing was said that she must pay rent while she was living there and this was not brought up until she ended the relationship.

She is upset over this and is wondering if they have a legal case to pursue? She is a 19 yr old student and is presently not working. Advice would be appreciated.
Write them back and ask them to forward the lease agreement your daughter and the boyfriend signed upon moving in.

divgradcurl

yjkaries said:
There is none.
Exactly. So now it's up to them to prove that she does own them back rent. Until they can prove that in court, forget about it. If she gets sued, go to court, when they can't find any proof that your daughter agreed to pay rent, they'll lose. So until she gets sued, forget about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">