• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daycare Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJMZ

I have my daughter enrolled in a CT daycare facility - she attends 3 days a week. They require that a contract be signed annually (which starts in September). The contract basically specifies rates(paid on a monthly basis), policies etc. For those that have children in the school - they send the contracts out in April to be signed for the following school year. This is also accompanied by a registration fee of $50.00.
This year when I received the contract, it stated that there would be no part-time positions available, all of the daycare was to be for full-time enrollment only. I found a school down the street that did offer part-time enrollment, however their contract is set up differently. They charged by the week and with the contract they requested that we submit a maintenance fee of $40.00 and a deposit equivalent to 1 weeks tuition. I paid and signed up for September, when my daughters first contract ran out. The first school has now deceided to allow the current part-time students to be grandfathered and will allow them part-time enrollment for the fall. When I went to the second school to get my deposit back, they said that the one page preregistration form I signed said that if I withdraw my child for any reason prior to the start date that I will forfeit the deposit. When I talked to the owner - she said even if they fill the spot before September, they turned away others, and they will not give me my money back ($200.00).

1. Can that pre-registration form be binding
2. Is their anyway around this
3. Can I report these actions to the BBB or Consumer
Protection Agency?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

1. Probably yes.

2. Probably no.

3. You're free to bitch and moan to whomever you want. However, at best, it's a Civil matter because you signed a contract.

You didn't quote the contract provision in question, so anyone reading your post will just be shooting in the dark.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">