• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deal gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dollyd

I live in NY state - I traded in a Dodge cargo van for a 1998 Subaru Forester. Contracts were signed-I drove away with the car, and all was fine. Two days later the financial dept. called and said the bank on the contract could not approve the deal, and that we gave them false information, which was proven to be accurate information upon retrieval. Apparently, they approved us before the bank did, and assumed without documentation all the figures we gave them were accurate. Never did they request any proof or paystubs or 1040 forms until after the car was driven away and under legal contract. They threatened to take the car away unless we agreed to increase our payments on the contract. We were so angry, we wanted to cancel out of the deal and give them the car back. However, two days prior to this, the Dodge was paid off in full to Chrysler Financial, and titles signed over, registrations and licenses paid and applied, and insurance info changed. Can they "unravel" the deal, and obligate me to this contract, give my Dodge back to me after the payoff was made, and have me continue as if nothing happened? I can't imagine what my legal rights are here. Please advise!

TCB4U2B2B

Truth Of The Matter

Hello dollyd

Often times the orginal terms get approved, the buyer gets the vehicle immediately and the dealer sells a vehicle immediately. A win-win for both parties.

There is a down side. The selling ploy is to have the buying party drive away with the vehicle immediately. The dealer does submit your credit information as you entered it.

However, if the lender does not want to except the credit because it finds fault or does not meet their rules, they do in fact have the right to amend the terms.

The dealer also has the right to find an alternate financing plan, which will finance the purchase at terms you must agree to. Not a pleasant thought but it is reality.

The best means of protecting oneself when purchasing a vehicle, under these conditions of stress and duress often found in the dealers showroom, is to NOT take possession of the car until you have read the entire contract and financing is approved by mutual agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">