• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dealer bought car back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seattle71

What is the name of your state? WA

This is in regards to a post a started a few months back about a missing front bumper reinforcement bar. For those that dont remember approx 6 weeks after I bought the car I was involved in a low speed collision causing over 4k in damages. The body shops said that the reinforcement bar not being on the vehicle is a major safety issue. So I pursued the dealership for selling me an unsafe car. I had retained a lawyer but after a few weeks he felt I should pursue the case in small claim court due to the cost of his fees and the cost of the car. I then dealt directly with the dealerships attorney and after months we finally came to an agreement of the dealer buying the car back.

What concerns me is the day(2 weeks ago) the dealer was suppose to come and take the car and give me the money and sign the paperwork (title/odometer) they had an independent tow truck driver give me the check and sign the paper work. I had prepared a bill of sale saying they are taking this car back "as is" and the tow truck driver could not sign it because he was not the one who was purchasing it. With the car having severe frame damage I want to make sure I am protecting myself. I called dealers lawyer and she said all I needed to do was file a report of sale with dept of licensing. I already did that.

Over the weekend I was driving past the dealership and saw the car up for sale and repaired. But I have no idea if re-bar was put on and if frame was fixed properly and I want to make sure I am protecting myself. Any suggestions of what I should be doing??

djohnson

There is nothing else you can do if you have already filed it as sold back to them. I might keep a detailed record of what happened on what dates just in case but you can't go stand by the car and tell everyone that looks at it that it may have a problem.

seattle71

re:

Yeah i have been keeping a record and also have documents. I have pictures and forensics report and the DMV was involved as well in my claim of the car being unsafe. The forensic report also stated the car was unsafe prior me purchasing the car due to body modifications. So I think I have covered everything I can.

I just hope they didn't do a half butt job on the repairs because it was very quick turn around from when i gave them the car back and when it went back on the lot. The body shops i spoke to said with the damage I had it would take approx two weeks to repair everything. The body shop had the damages at 90% totaled. Question I have is they are selling the car for more than I purchased it - considering the accident and frame damage wouldn't that drop they value of the car? According to Nada guide they are asking almost $2500 more for the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">