• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer lied about CarFax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brady3144

What is the name of your state (TEXAS)?

Hello,

I bought a really nice 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport truck from a local new/used car dealership in May 2010. The truck had about 10,000 miles. This vehicle came with a 36,000 mile warranty and 75,000 mile powertrain. This summer (2011) my turn signal has burned out 6 times. I took it to my local Toyota Dealer and they asked if it had been wrecked. I said no, and that I bought the vehicle with 10,000 miles and the dealership presented me with a CarFax and said the vehicle was not in any wrecks, only that it had been repossessed. The Toyota dealerships service manager opened the hood to look around and told me that the vehicle had indeed been wrecked and that none of the parts under the hood had Toyota vin tags/numbers on the parts. He then showed me a similar truck, which had the part numbers on them. Now, Toyota says they won't fix my light problem because the vehicle has been wrecked. Does anyone know what rights I have? I did NOT buy the vehicle "AS IS". Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (TEXAS)?

Hello,

I bought a really nice 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport truck from a local new/used car dealership in May 2010. The truck had about 10,000 miles. This vehicle came with a 36,000 mile warranty and 75,000 mile powertrain. This summer (2011) my turn signal has burned out 6 times. I took it to my local Toyota Dealer and they asked if it had been wrecked. I said no, and that I bought the vehicle with 10,000 miles and the dealership presented me with a CarFax and said the vehicle was not in any wrecks, only that it had been repossessed. The Toyota dealerships service manager opened the hood to look around and told me that the vehicle had indeed been wrecked and that none of the parts under the hood had Toyota vin tags/numbers on the parts. He then showed me a similar truck, which had the part numbers on them. Now, Toyota says they won't fix my light problem because the vehicle has been wrecked. Does anyone know what rights I have? I did NOT buy the vehicle "AS IS". Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
If you purchased the vehicle at a reputable car dealership, and they provided you with a written warranty, then they are obligated to honor it for all things covered under said warranty.

The dealership may be trying to get out of repairing because they are claiming that SINCE the vehicle was purchased, it may have been in a wreck and the parts were not those OEM parts, and any non-warranty work and non-OEM replacement parts may not be covered under the warranty.

Unfortunately, those Carfax reports are not always 100% accurate, especially if someone had a friend do the repair work from a wreck or such. If it was never reported to the DMV, Carfax may have no record of it.

That being said, what did the private mechanic you hired before you purchased the vehicle tell you? They may well have been able to detect body or mechanical issues that the dealer never told you about, and that would have been helpful information to have when making your decision about whether or not to purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">