• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer not destroy or return my credit info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anagreenspan

This is in California.

This dealer refused to return or destroy my credit report and the information they took, claiming “policy". I didn’t realize until the next day, they've kept my driver's license. So I was forced to return for it. Again I raised my credit report and the data form question. I was told by the general manager: "it's our property."

I'm not a lawyer but this to me this should be unlawful. It's my information, SSN, address, license #, mother's maiden name; my info can easily lose/stolen. I saw several other licenses they've collected so I'm pretty sure they purposely withheld mine. They are not trust worthy to me. Is there any recourse for me to get my information out of their possession?

:confused: :mad: :confused:

Some Random Guy

They paid for your credit report and it now belongs to them.

If they misuse it and commit identity theft or allow the info to be stolen and used for identity theft, then you can sue them.

anagreenspan

There is no way to know if my info was misappropriated by them. While I was there, I needed a piece of paper to write and I got a copy of someone else' trade-in form with his name, SSN, address, birthday, monthly income, employer.

JETX

anagreenspan said:
Is there any recourse for me to get my information out of their possession?
Yes. You can file a lawsuit against them and presumably get a court order for them to destroy your records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">